Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Michael Humpherys <mh...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/07 21:48:01 UTC

Calc Guide

I'm going to start working on the "Getting to Know Calc" section of the
Calc guide. I'm going to have it largely mirror the Writer guide. I'm also
working on developing some ideas for what should be covered in what order
in the Calc guide such as:
Formula
Styles
Charts
Databases
Working with Cells
Macros
Autofill

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.

Re: Calc Guide

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.
Am 07.11.2013 21:48, Michael Humpherys wrote:
> I'm going to start working on the "Getting to Know Calc" section of the
> Calc guide. I'm going to have it largely mirror the Writer guide. I'm also
> working on developing some ideas for what should be covered in what order
> in the Calc guide such as:
> Formula
Absolute vs. Relative Reference
Text vs. Number (and Error)
Import CSV, Paste-Special Text, special number format "@"

> Styles
Value vs. Formatting
0123 and 123,00 are the same but not "0123" and "123,00"
Number format locales (this is a cross component feature).

> Charts
Again, text vs. number. Line chart vs. X/Y-scatter

> Databases
Why a spreadsheet can not replace a relational database.
Database ranges with stored filters, sort descriptors and import source.
Pivot tables.

> Working with Cells
(Multiple) Selections, Navigation, Edit mode

> Macros
Please, leave out macros ...

> Autofill
vs. AutoCorrect vs. Evaluation and Validation

Re: Calc Guide

Posted by Ricardo Berlasso <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/11/7 Michael Humpherys <mh...@gmail.com>

> I'm going to start working on the "Getting to Know Calc" section of the
> Calc guide. I'm going to have it largely mirror the Writer guide. I'm also
> working on developing some ideas for what should be covered in what order
> in the Calc guide such as:
> Formula
> Styles
> Charts
> Databases
> Working with Cells
> Macros
> Autofill
>
> Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.

Good!

Maybe, considering that it is possible to call them from other components,
Chart and Macros should be separated items and on Calc guide only talk
about Calc specific differences (like how to select the data range for a
chart or associate a macro to a particular cell)?

On the Spanish wiki the macro section is really advanced

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/ES/Manuales/GuiaAOO/TemasAvanzados/Macros

Regards,
Ricardo