Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2022/12/21 03:59:37 UTC

Arrow sync call December 21 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 17:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly sync call is tomorrow at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

The Zoom meeting URL for this and other biweekly Arrow sync calls is:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09

Alternatively, enter this information into the Zoom website or app to
join the call:
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call December 21 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 17:00 UTC

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Here are the notes from the Arrow sync call from yesterday 21st December:

Attendees:
- Raúl Cumplido
- Bryce Mecum
- Rok Mihevc
- Matthew Topol
- Joris Van den Bossche
- Jacob Wujciak

Migration from Jira to GitHub issues:
- Adding new issues on JIRA is closed. Creation of new issues has to be
done on GitHub.
- Once we do the migration we will also block adding comments to JIRA.
- Rok is working on the migration script --> There's still work to be done
on the scripts, after some discussions we agreed that the 8th of January
could be the transition date but the migration is not a requirement before
the release. This date can move if we require more time to test the scripts
or discuss some of the functionality.
- Rok is currently reviewing the mapping from JIRA usernames to GitHub
usernames to assign the issues to the correct users.
- The release scripts have to be updated and in the meantime they have to
work with both GitHub and JIRA so we don't require the migration to happen
before the release.
- We discuss whether we have to update the merge script to update the
milestone on the PR instead of the issue. This will allow us to work with
milestones on PRs instead of issues for the release cherry-pick command and
will allow us to add minor issues once the code freeze is done.
- The Umbrella issue covering the migration can be found on [1].
- There's some discussion about some specific migration topics that have
not been implemented yet like: Images migration or open issues with
priority on JIRA.
- We should test the migration (dry-run) on a different repo and validate
the migration works before performing the migration.
- Rok will go over the umbrella issue and the script to validate
functionality is implemented as agreed on the umbrella issue.
- We should test the migration (dry-run) on a different repo and validate
the migration work.
- Infra shared a migration script here which Rok is investigating too [2].

Self hosted runners capability:
- There has been no objection to the solution proposed on the mailing list
by Jacob [3].
- Jacob will follow up on the mailing list to start using the solution and
add some self-hosted runners for ARM in order to migrate the existing
Travis jobs that are expected to be removed.
- There is no solution for the s390x jobs that are on travis yet. We don't
have infrastructure for them. Call to the community for possible runners?
- Apache Infra has some s390x on Jenkins, we could investigate if we can
use those but we have not investigated yet.
- Jacob discusses that we should also add some reserved runners for comment
bots and other workflow related work as self-hosted runners.

Run End encoding format:
- The new format for Run End Encoding has been approved [4].
- Matt calls for feedback to the existing PR that is adding the flatbuffer
definitions [5].
- Once this is done the other PRs will be made ready to review.
- Probably starting implementation with Go and after that the C++ ones.

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/14542
[2] https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mskpqwpdq65t1wpj4f5klfq9217ljodw
[4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/539scy67qom5t2fkkd1m6fvh5htvwo3s
[5] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/14176

Thanks everyone, please if someone attended and thinks I've missed anything
feel free to add the notes.

Happy New Year everyone!
Raúl