Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2007/03/06 19:25:04 UTC

Releasing it (was: Re: Velocity 1.5 Release - SVN Revision?)

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:09 -0800, Nathan Bubna wrote:
> If you'd prefer, i'd be happy to cede the update of the web site to
> you or at least enlist your help.  I've got things working adequately,
> but not splendidly.  Things left to be done for the 1.5 release are:

As you wish. I can build it if you want me to. With the zone now finally
being available I'm currently setting up ant, maven and all that stuff
so we can build from a common environment.

> - use mvn to deploy the changes i just checked in this morning.  i'm
> waiting until a few more mirrors pick up the build before i do that.

Sure. These are changes to the Velocity Site, right?

> - update the "Engine 1.5" subsection.  i'm not entirely sure how you
> do this.  currently, there is an older version (from one of your
> attempted releases in January, i presume) up at
> http://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/velocity-1.5/, but this
> doesn't reflect any changes since then (e.g. the change log doesn't
> show the fix for SecureUberspector).  i'm not sure yet what the
> procedure for doing this is.

In the engine release, run "mvn clean post-site site:deploy". That
should push the release version of the site up. This should overwrite
all the files you mentioned.

- create the release tag. That why I asked about the revision. I did

svn -m "Velocity 1.5 Release" copy -r 509925 \
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/branches/Velocity_1.5_BRANCH \
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/tags/Velocity_1.5

for that. I MD5 checked the files from the branch and the tag and they
all checked out ok, even though the files on the tag technically have
another revision number.

- Deploy the release to the maven repo.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

Re: Releasing it (was: Re: Velocity 1.5 Release - SVN Revision?)

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
By which I mean, the Apache announcement lists and the press release
together early next week.  We should tell the user list right away.

WILL

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:

>the other problem i had, which may not have been obvious, was that the
>download.cgi page got updated with the wrong permissions (only
>readable, not executable).  i had to manually fix this.  not sure why
>it happened.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/WAGON-71 :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,             |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person            |eau
Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine guy   |rwc
                                                                          |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fürth, HRB 7350    |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschäftsführer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

          "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

Re: Releasing it (was: Re: Velocity 1.5 Release - SVN Revision?)

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 15:35 -0800, Nathan Bubna wrote:

> > Now that we have the engine release, I will put the jar into the maven
> > repos
>
> how is this done?

As we don't build with maven-2, we can not deploy automatically.

I pulled the release jar down from www.apache.org/dist
into /tmp/velocity-1.5.jar

and ran

mvn -Dfile=/tmp/velocity-1.5.jar -DrepositoryId=apache.releases -DpomFile=pom.xml -Durl=scpexe://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository  -Dpackaging=jar deploy:deploy-file

(before I had to add

<servers>
  <server>
    <id>apache.releases</id>
    <username>henning</username>
  </server>
</servers>

to my settings.xml)

That put the POM and the jar into the repo on people. I compared the
checksums in the repo and the distribution directory and they are the
same.

This should be enough to get 1.5 out. For the next release (1.5.1 or
1.6) I want to tweak it a bit. See
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-526

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 3/7/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> "Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >i noticed that there weren't many there, but i couldn't remember if
> >there were a lot beforehand.  (i.e.  i didn't know if my update
> >introduced that or not).
>
> >> I've deployed both sites again, they should be fine now.
>
> >thanks again!  feel free to use me as a guinea pig to test out you
> >changes as you smooth things out.  i want to make sure i can update
> >the site as well.  also, it would be good to switch the veltools docs
> >to the same process eventually (once i trust it), so the more i figure
> >this out the better.  i do at least see that this has more potential
> >than the old process.  it's just been a very, very rough learning
> >curve.
>
> Now that we have the engine release, I will put the jar into the maven
> repos

how is this done?

> and once they show up, I will try to smooth out the site tools,
> release them and then the building should be much easier, because all
> the plugins then come from the repo.

looking forward to it!

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:

>i noticed that there weren't many there, but i couldn't remember if
>there were a lot beforehand.  (i.e.  i didn't know if my update
>introduced that or not).

>> I've deployed both sites again, they should be fine now.

>thanks again!  feel free to use me as a guinea pig to test out you
>changes as you smooth things out.  i want to make sure i can update
>the site as well.  also, it would be good to switch the veltools docs
>to the same process eventually (once i trust it), so the more i figure
>this out the better.  i do at least see that this has more potential
>than the old process.  it's just been a very, very rough learning
>curve.

Now that we have the engine release, I will put the jar into the maven
repos and once they show up, I will try to smooth out the site tools,

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 3/6/07, Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for doing this! It seems that this process is still a bit rough
> and it is one of my top priorities to get this smoother and that we can
> run it from the zone.

that would be great.

> I've did a minor update on the main page, there was still 1.4 as release
> and 1.5 beta 2 as beta listed.

thanks!

Re: Releasing it

Posted by Matthijs Lambooy <la...@crossmarx.nl>.
Hi All.

Congratulations!

Matthijs Lambooy

Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for doing this! It seems that this process is still a bit rough
> and it is one of my top priorities to get this smoother and that we can
> run it from the zone.
>
> I've did a minor update on the main page, there was still 1.4 as release
> and 1.5 beta 2 as beta listed.
>
> I noticed that for the site, the pages that go through the
> velocity/doxia renderer did not get updated (they still had 1.4 as
> release), so I assume that this is one of the rough edges. Will look
> into this.
>
> Also for the Engine site, the JIRA report listed only a few issues, this
> might be a problem with the jira report plugin (I've contributed lots of
> fixes here).
>
> I've deployed both sites again, they should be fine now.
>
> 	Best regards
> 		Henning
>

> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 17:27 -0800, Nathan Bubna wrote:

>>> that'd be good.  if you haven't noticed, i've had to disable the news
>>> macro and roughly mimic it's results by hand.  if you can make it work
>>> properly, i think that would be preferable.  of course, i do want us
>>> to figure out how to make it work fully for others besides you, but we
>>> can do that later.
>>>
>> ok, i deployed the site using the site module as it is in svn (with
>> the news macro disabled and hand-mimicked).   you're of course still
>> quite welcome to re-update with the news macro working, and to fix and
>> bad in-page anchors or whatever.
>>
>> so, the public now has access to Velocity 1.5 from our download page,
>> if they happen to visit the web site before the announcements go out
>> by email.

>>> yep.  updated the download page, the doap descriptor, the front page
>>> and the menu sidebar thing.

>>> let me give this part a try.  i haven't done this yet and would like
>>> to see it work for me.
>>>
>> it appears to have worked just fine...

>>> yeah, i saw that.  thanks.

>>> that's to be expected.  revision numbers are only updated in files
>>> which are changed and which have the $Id$ thingy in 'em.

>>> another thing i've never done.  i presume there's a magic maven
>>> command for this too?
>>>
>> i think this last item and the email announcements are all that's left
>> to be done.  Will said he'd handle the PR.  Anyone who wants to deploy
>> 1.5 to the maven repo or tell me how to do it is welcome to do so.

--
Matthijs Lambooy
CrossmarX BV, Amsterdam
http://www.crossmarx.com
+31654771926
skype callto://matthijslambooy
xmpp:matthijs1@jabber.org

http://www.zoook.nl laat zien wat je te koop hebt

Re: Releasing it (was: Re: Velocity 1.5 Release - SVN Revision?)

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
By the way, this is tremendously exciting.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.