Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> on 2013/02/01 07:56:43 UTC

Re: Tracking Email Deliverability - Stat Gathering/Log Parsing

Hi Barry,

Are you using James 2.3 or 3beta?

With the latest 3beta, we have plenty of metrics accessible via JMX that
could help (I need to check if the one you need are available, but you
definitively get useful information from these).

The downside is that the metrics disappear in case of server stop/crash,
so relying on log files doesn't seem bad.

Thx, Eric

Posted by Barry Lai <bl...@getabine.com>.
Eric, thanks for the response.  We're on 2.3.

I described 1 metric: the percent of success/failure for a particular
sender->receiver path (basketball.com to gmail.com, was my example).  Given
an admitted lack of expertise in mail deliverability, do you or others have
suggestions for other metrics we would want?

Other metrics we're looking to gather:

- overall success/failure of mail deliverability (seems like we can only do
a best effort here as it's unreliable to know if mail truly gets sent to
external recipients or if some are dropped without notice by those who
aren't following spec)
- categorizing failure types (delivery failures due to SPF, bad target
inbox, address errors due to internal VirtualUserTable errors, etc.)
- average delivery time/handling time of mail

Other suggestions or points to resources would be awesome!  Suggestions on
how to BEST gather these metrics would be highly appreciated as well.

-Barry

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>
> Are you using James 2.3 or 3beta?
>
> With the latest 3beta, we have plenty of metrics accessible via JMX that
> could help (I need to check if the one you need are available, but you
> definitively get useful information from these).
>
> The downside is that the metrics disappear in case of server stop/crash,
> so relying on log files doesn't seem bad.
>
> Thx, Eric
>

> On 30/01/2013 19:41, Barry Lai wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> We've recently spent a lot of time writing parsers for the mailet/smtp
>> logs
>> as well as some database stuff to figure out deliverability stats and were
>> wondering if you guys had some suggestions/out-of-the-box solutions.
>>
>> Things we're looking at: for a sender domain X, what is the success rate
>> of
>> deliverability to a recipient domain Y.
>>
>> A very explicit example: if we receive mail from basketball.com, what is
>> the success rate if we try to deliver that mail to a gmail.com user.
>>
>> Right now, we're parsing out files that get stored in /var/mail/error and
>> keeping log counts for failed mail paths and keeping track of what mail
>> gets spooled to keep track of what mails we attempt to send.  Are there
>> better ways? Other ways to measure deliverability in general?
>>
>> Thanks so much for your time.  Maybe there's a more appropriate place for
>> me to pose these questions??  Did my best reading through the FAQs/mailing
>> list practices :/
>>
>> Best,
>> Barry

Barry Lai