Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Raymond Zhou <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/13 07:24:47 UTC

re-distribute openSSL dlls with AXIS2/c and patent issue

Hi All,

  I am using AXIS2/c to develop a web service client component in a commercial application. The web service requires SSL support. It is my understanding that AXIS2/c can be built with openSSL to have SSL support. I have two questions:

  (1) In the distribution of my commercial application, it seems I only need to include two openSSL related dll files with the AXIS/2c dlls to enable AXIS/2 with SSL support capability. These two dlls are: libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll. Is this correct?

  (2) Is openSSL an open-source software? I have read some articules stating that it envolves some kind os patents, is this true? Am I free to re-distribute the two DLLs (I can download them from some web sites.

  I've searched the archives and axis2/c manuals, it doesn't seem to be clear about this.
  Thanks much in advance.

  Ray

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: re-distribute openSSL dlls with AXIS2/c and patent issue

Posted by Kaushalye Kapuruge <ka...@wso2.com>.
Raymond Zhou wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using AXIS2/c to develop a web service client component in a
> commercial application. The web service requires SSL support. It is my
> understanding that AXIS2/c can be built with openSSL to have SSL
> support. I have two questions:
>
> (1) In the distribution of my commercial application, it seems I only
> need to include two openSSL related dll files with the AXIS/2c dlls to
> enable AXIS/2 with SSL support capability. These two dlls are:
> libeay32.*dll* and libssl32.*dll*. Is this correct?
>
> (2) Is openSSL an open-source software?
Yes,
> I have read some articules stating that it envolves some kind os
> patents, is this true? Am I free to re-distribute the two DLLs (I can
> download them from some web sites.
AFAIK, if you are redistributing, you have to include their copyright
notice. See more details here ...
http://www.openssl.org/source/license.html
[Conditions 1,2]
-Kau