Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Lung, Paul" <pl...@ebay.com> on 2014/06/25 03:20:35 UTC

Blacklisting Brokers

Hi All,

Is there anyway to blacklist brokers? Sometimes we run into situations where there are certain hardware failures on a broker machine, and the machines goes into a “half dead” state. The broker process is up and participating in the cluster, but it can’t actually transmit messages properly. Sometimes, even SSH fails on the machines, and we can’t log in to shutdown the broker process. The only way to resolve this issue at this point is to shutdown the machine, which is not always easy in a large data center scenario. The consequences are disastrous if this half dead broker is elected as the leader. So in this situation, it would be nice to be able to quickly black list a broker.

Thank you.
Paul Lung

Re: Blacklisting Brokers

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Could you file a JIRA for this? We may have to think through this
carefully. Black listing should be done in a way that maintains the
replication factor of the partition. Un blacklisting would then either
increase the replication factor or require carefully removing the replicas
on that broker.

Thanks,
Neha

Re: Blacklisting Brokers