Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Yun Tang <my...@LIVE.COM> on 2020/04/09 06:56:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Creating a new repo to host Flink benchmarks

 Hi Flink devs,

As Flink develops rapidly with more and more features added, how to ensure no performance regression existed has become more and more important. And we would like to create a new repo under apache project to host previous flink-benchmarks [1] repo, which is inspired when we discuss under FLINK-16850 [2]

Some background context on flink-benchmarks, for those who are not familiar with the project yet:

 - Current flink-benchmarks does not align with the Flink release, which lead developers not easy to verify
   performance at specific Flink version because current flink-benchmarks always depends on the latest interfaces.
 - Above problem could be solved well if we could ensure flink-benchmarks also create release branch when we
   releasing Flink. However, current flink-benchmarks repo is hosted under dataArtisans (the former name of
   ververica) project, which is not involved in Flink release manual [3]. We propose to promote this repo under
   apache project so that release manager could have the right to release on flink-benchmarks.
 - The reason why we not involve flink-benchmarks into the apache/flink repo is because it heavily depends on
   JMH [4], which is under GPLv2 license.

What do you think?

Best,
Yun Tang

[1] https://github.com/dataArtisans/flink-benchmarks
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Creating+a+Flink+Release
[4] https://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/

Re: [DISCUSS] Creating a new repo to host Flink benchmarks

Posted by Yun Tang <my...@live.com>.
Thanks for Gordon's help!

We will move on and create FLINK-17280<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-17280> [1] to track the progress.

Best