Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Mir Islam <mi...@mirislam.com> on 2013/08/15 05:47:00 UTC

importing ovf/ova file

I see an open issue on Jira on creating a wizard to import OVF file as template. But could not find any information on howto do so even manually. Here is what I have tried so far.

1. Unzipped the ovf file
2. Convert the vmdk file to a qcow2 image
3. Install it as template
4. Boot from it.

However, encountering BSOD for Windows VM. Have not tried a linux one yet. Anyone tried to export from VMware and import int cloudstack?

My setup: Cloudstack 4.1 and KVM

Thanks
Mir

RE: importing ovf/ova file

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Do it all the time. Windows caveat, make sure NIC is set to e1000 and not *e1000e*. Also, set your root disk to scsi in global settings.

2 ways:

Painful method
1) export ovf/ova from vmware using virtual infra client to your desktop (this is slow)
2) upload the image from your desktop to a webserver (can also be slow)
3) import the image via CS UI

Painless scriptable method:
On your local linux webserver install cloudmonkey (check wiki) and vmwareovf tool (from vmware's site).
1) run ovftool to get the image, example
ovftool vi://my_username:my_password@vc00q-ops-08.portal.webmd.com/IAD1?ds=[VMFS_Non-Prod_Cluster_DEV_A_HSC_930]cloud-centos62-64bit-net/cloud-centos62-64bit-net.vmx  ./cloud-centos62-64bit-net.ova
chmod 755 ./cloud-centos62-64bit-net.ova
2) using cloudmonkey cli, import the template into ACS

Regards
ilya

Re: importing ovf/ova file

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.