Posted to women@apache.org by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org> on 2006/03/03 15:05:52 UTC

Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing 2006

The deadline for submissions to the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in
Computing 2006 is March 15, 2006.

The conference is October 4-7, 2006 in San Diego.
http://www.gracehopper.org/index.html

Check out the call for participation.
http://www.gracehopper.org/call_for_participation.html

Is anybody interested in proposing a panel on Open Source?

--
Julie MacNaught
IBM Research

Re: Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing 2006

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@apache.org>.
count me in!

 -jean

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

I'd be very interested.  I'd also be interested in talking about not only
the challenges of being a woman in OSS, but a woman in OSS bridging the
gap between the for profit and developer community worlds. Both are male
dominated, but with different cultures and expectations.

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
Hey all...it was just quick thoughts ;-).  Julie is really the person
who should be fronting the proposal, since she first suggested it.

In my prior experience, the hardest bit of work in getting accepted
at GHC is filling out the damned proposal format (which is very
terse).  It took me a few hours of pruning because you have to
include brief bios on each of the proposed speakers and claims about
the benefits of your proposal within a 2-page (500 word) format.  I'm
*not* in fact keen to be that author this time around.  One more word
of warning...the GHC that I attended had some strange (in our FOSS
world) requirements around speakers having to pay for the privilege
to speak (eg. getting accepted as a speaker was NOT a ticket into the
event).  Since nearly everyone on my panel worked for a non-profit, I
successfully challenged that stance and got them to back down...but
unfortunately all that happened actually *at* the conference and
wasn't very pleasant for anyone (Mitchell Baker refused to speak if
anyone had to pay, so me just offering to get my employer to sponsor
didn't work).  All of this is a long story to say that I might or
might not be a good person to front the proposal given that they no
doubt *remember* me :-).

So, Julie (or Sally or Susan), feel like writing?

Danese

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Anna.

So ... what are our next steps? Is someone
interested/* in proposing the panel per Julie's
suggestion?

Bon weekend,
Sally

Posted by Anna <an...@cs.wits.ac.za>.