Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Ян Программист <we...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/07 15:18:07 UTC

Table structure modifications

A bit strange way to modify table structure
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ad-trifecta7/#N103C7

Re: Table structure modifications

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
?? ??????????? wrote:
> A bit strange way to modify table structure
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ad-trifecta7/#N103C7

The Derby ALTER TABLE features weren't available when that article
was written, so that was pretty much the best way at the time.
It is easier to use ALTER TABLE nowadays, I agree, although ALTER TABLE
still has a number of limitations.

thanks,

bryan

Re: Table structure modifications

Posted by Ян Программист <we...@gmail.com>.
In that case that slam is for IBM company itself! And about writers... Maybe
I was wrong. John

Re: Table structure modifications

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Ян Программист wrote:
> A good help for your project would be if you tell IBM tech writers
> about that. I think they don't feel responsibility about following
> projects, described in their writings. And -1 for IBM for allowing
> such silly situations. John
Hi John,

I wouldn't slam the IBM tech writers. The articles were written a long
time ago and were accurate when they were written. I'm sure those tech
writers have moved onto other projects. Apache projects are volunteer
efforts. Maybe after we get 10.6 out the door we can spend some time
cleaning up our web site.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Table structure modifications

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Ян Программист wrote:
> A bit strange way to modify table structure
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ad-trifecta7/#N103C7
Thanks for pointing this out, John. Yes, that article was written before
we enabled ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN. Our website could use some spring
cleaning.

Thanks,
-Rick