Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Yaron Levy <ya...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/05/17 22:05:48 UTC

[Crypto] GCM pull request

Hi,I'm new to this group so I might not be doing this right.
I'm very interested in the GCM PR #60 for commons-crypto. It seems like it's the only way to get hw-accelerated encryption for gcm in java (correct me if I'm wrong and you know a better way).
What's the merge process? How does it get released?
Thanks,Yaron.

RE: [Crypto] GCM pull request

Posted by "Ke, Xianda" <xi...@intel.com>.
Hi folks,

I had a glance at the  implementation of GCM Acceleration in HotSpot(Java 9) and did benchmark months ago.
The implementation in HotSpot(Java 9) is not well optimized.  Yes, there is an optimization opportunity for Java 9...

AES-GCM(JDK8):       3.98 MB/s
AES-GCM(JDK9):       267.78 MB/s
AES-GCM(Crypto):   762.81 MB/s
GCM Acceleration in Java gets faster, but still fall far behind Common Crypto(the patch hasn't been merged).

I'll continue to refine the patch (GCM Cipher, PR #60).
@Levy, if you are interested in GCM, maybe you can  create a JIRA  to enable GCM Cipher for InputStream/OutputStream.

Regards,
Xianda

AES GCM Acceleration (Counter Intrinsic and Ghash Intrinsic) is in the SUN JCE Provider in Java 9 and some  improvements in Java 8u50. An alternative would be NSS. However it is certainly good to have a alternative high speed implementation.

http://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=8069072 Florians 8u60 optimization
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8177784 CTR Intrinsic 9
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8073108 GHASH Intrinsic 9

Gruss