Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com> on 2017/05/10 12:32:31 UTC

RE: New function not yet in .NET version? + Merging .dlls not working

Matthias,

> I would need a functionality of the IndexWriter to expose its field names. This feature is already implemented in the Java version: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7659

> I couldn’t find the function in the current .NET source. Can this be explained?

According to the linked issue, it was fixed in Lucene 6.5. Lucene.Net is currently at 4.8.0.

Due to the fact that we have not had enough volunteers, it has taken us more than 2 1/2 years to port 4.8.0 and during that timeframe Lucene has leapfrogged us by 2 major versions. Lucene is more than 350,000 executable lines of code (nearly a million lines of text) and putting most of that on the backs of one or two people makes the process take time. Most projects that you are familiar with are 10% of that size or much less.

> When trying to merge the Lucene.NET.dll’s into my library with VS ILMerge, I get the error:
“Unresolved assembly reference not allowed: Lucene.Net.Sandbox”. Has anybody been running into similar issues?

> Who is releasing the Nuget packages? Cause they haven’t been updated in a while (on Myget – last update in December) and I’d like to see a new version even if the stable is still some time away 😊

Due to pre-release versioning limitations in .NET Core, we had to switch to a different versioning scheme and therefore have abandoned the MyGet feed at: https://www.myget.org/gallery/lucene-net, and setup a new one (with lower version numbers) at: https://www.myget.org/gallery/lucene-net-ci. The older continuous integration triggers were still set up at first and have pushed a botched partial set of packages to that older feed (unfortunately). Although the triggers are now disabled, the feed has yet to be cleaned up.

That said, we now have an official release on of our first beta on NuGet, although we will be delaying the official announcement until a severe concurrency bug that we discovered late in the release process is patched.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Matthias,

I have updated the demo so it works with the new API: https://github.com/NightOwl888/LuceneNetDemo

> Wow, this is a long time... and also lots of code being handled by just 2(??) guys.

There were several people involved and we are grateful for the contributions we did get, but throughout most of the development it was usually 1 or 2 people that did >95% of the total work. There is still much to do if you are willing to help out: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

> Due to the fact that we have not had enough volunteers, it has taken us more than 2 1/2 years to port 4.8.0 and during that timeframe Lucene has leapfrogged us by 2 major versions. Lucene is more than 350,000 executable lines of code (nearly a million lines of text) and putting most of that on the backs of one or two people makes the process take time. Most projects that you are familiar with are 10% of that size or much less.

Wow, this is a long time... and also lots of code being handled by just 2(??) guys.

> That said, we now have an official release on of our first beta on NuGet, although we will be delaying the official announcement until a severe concurrency bug that we discovered late in the release process is patched.

Ah I see, I updated to the beta from the official Nuget source. Seems like the API has slightly changed since Itamar's introduction demo (new SearcherFactory, SeacherManager has changed, new ReuseStrategy for the Analyzer, ...).

@Itamar: Is it possible for you to update the LuceneNetDemo?: https://github.com/synhershko/LuceneNetDemo

Thanks and best regards,
Matthias

Posted by Matthias Strauss - xRM1 Business Solutions <Ma...@xRM1.com>.