Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Michael Pence <mi...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/12 21:47:59 UTC

Introduction and some questions about Wicket

Hi guys,

My name is Mike Pence. I think that I have dipped into this list a time or two in the past, but I am here, this time, with serious intent to use Wicket for a very big project -- big both in terms of how many users it will have, and big in its impact.

I have been doing Rails for the last 7 or 8 years (spoke at Ruby and Rails conferences about rich web apps), after coming from a Delphi and Java background (and Microsoft stuff, but I leave that out).

So, Rails is great but does not give me the modularity and component re-use in the UI that I loved in Delphi. I am making some assumptions about Wicket, and would appreciate your feedback on these assumptions:

1. That wicket lets you model rich and highly interactive web apps that can feel like desktop apps, but in the browser. (Examples?)
2. That building complex UI widgets -- grids, trees, custom components like timelines or graphs or calendars -- is comparatively painless.
3. That you can largely leave the markup and styling to the people who like doing that kind of thing (why they would, I don't get…)

I would love to do Scala with Wicket but I can't raise the bar that high, right now. If there was a JRuby version of wicket…that would be awesome. JVM runtime is a big win for this, because the project definitely will have many, many users.

Has anyone done any work with wicket focused on mobile devices?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Mike Pence

Re: Introduction and some questions about Wicket

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Mike,

Welcome to Wicket community!

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Michael Pence <mi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> My name is Mike Pence. I think that I have dipped into this list a time or
> two in the past, but I am here, this time, with serious intent to use
> Wicket for a very big project -- big both in terms of how many users it
> will have, and big in its impact.
>
> I have been doing Rails for the last 7 or 8 years (spoke at Ruby and Rails
> conferences about rich web apps), after coming from a Delphi and Java
> background (and Microsoft stuff, but I leave that out).
>
> So, Rails is great but does not give me the modularity and component
> re-use in the UI that I loved in Delphi. I am making some assumptions about
> Wicket, and would appreciate your feedback on these assumptions:
>
> 1. That wicket lets you model rich and highly interactive web apps that
> can feel like desktop apps, but in the browser. (Examples?)

At http://builtwithwicket.tumblr.com you can see applications built with
Wicket.

> 2. That building complex UI widgets -- grids, trees, custom components
> like timelines or graphs or calendars -- is comparatively painless.

http://wb.agilecoders.de/demo/ - integration with many Twitter Bootstrap
widgets
http://www.7thweb.net/wicket-jquery-ui/ - demo page for Wicket components
integrating with many JQuery UI widgets

You can create integration for any UI widget out there.

> 3. That you can largely leave the markup and styling to the people who
> like doing that kind of thing (why they would, I don't get…)

Largely - yes. But still you have to help each other.

> I would love to do Scala with Wicket but I can't raise the bar that high,
> right now. If there was a JRuby version of wicket…that would be awesome.
> JVM runtime is a big win for this, because the project definitely will have
> many, many users.

Switching to Scala is not that hard if you try to write object oriented
code. It is almost like Java. Then little by little you can start using the
more advanced stuff from the language.

Posted by Cedric Gatay <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I am a Wicket user since v1.3. The main application I develop using it is
SRMvision (free trial available at demo.srmvision.com, slow because of the
virtual machine that sits under). We have leveraged the component nature of
Wicket to apply good practices and it has proven being a very good choice
until now.

Anyway, if you want to build rich ui components you will need to write them
with Javascript and bind it with your Wicket components, this is fairly
easy and you will be able to unit test it on the Java side and javascript
side.

For the design part, the size of our structure did not allowed us to
experiment working with dedicated people.  However, I guess designers
understanding html will be able to produce great gui ;-)

Regarding mobile devices, as long as it's html, it is easy, bootstrap,
fundation, and others made writing responsive Web applications a breeze.

Regards
__
Cedric Gatay (@Cedric_Gatay)
http://code-troopers.com | http://www.bloggure.info | http://cedric.gatay.fr

Posted by Mike Pence <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all of the useful information and for your kindness. Having a
supportive community -- something that the Ruby people are great at -- is a
huge plus.

Object-oriented Scala (being as functional in m approach as I can) and
wicket look like the sweet spot for me. Here is hoping that big contract
gets signed, now...

FYI, here is me trying to explain the advantages of component-oriented
development at the Ruby conference in '08:
http://www.confreaks.com/videos/1162-rubyconf2008-components-are-not-a-dirty-word

Best,
Mike Pence

Posted by Nick Pratt <nb...@gmail.com>.