Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2015/10/15 11:09:34 UTC

[mentors] experimental graduation maturity assessment in view of graduating Groovy

Hi mentors + community,

FYI I have started an assessment of Groovy's readiness for graduation,
based on the ASF project maturity model, here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/MATURITY.adoc

If hope you don't mind me "polluting" the code repository with this, I
thought it's good to put this in a place where all committers can
contribute easily.

For now this is just an experiment of mine, meant to help the ASF (at
large: community, mentors, Incubator PMC, Board of Directors) evaluate
the readiness of podlings. If we like it we can include it as an
appendix in the Incubator PMC graduation vote.

As usual, feedback and contributions are welcome, I'm hoping to finish
my own initial assessment by tomorrow, for now this is just a
skeleton.

-Bertrand

Re: [mentors] experimental graduation maturity assessment in view of graduating Groovy

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 18:38 +0200, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> […]
>
> I wonder if one point might be missing: checking the name of the
> project
> for trademarks.
>
> Which is imho also a point we have to still clear officially. how do
> we
> do that again?

As far as I am aware, but I am not a lawyer, in England and Wales, and
Scotland, you cannot trademark a word per se. So at least in this
jurisdiction I cannot imagine anyone has any form of trademark on
"Groovy"; it wouldn't be allowed.

On the other hand, the Groovy logo, whilst not formally registered
anywhere as far as I know, will have de facto trademark status for
having been used unchallenged for many years. To change the logo to
somehow incorporate Apache explicitly will be non-trivial.

--
Russel.

Re: [mentors] experimental graduation maturity assessment in view of graduating Groovy

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul.

Yes, it is a requirement for graduation. In my view it is ready to be
resolved, as I haven't been able to find any evidences of "Apache Groove"
being used elsewhere. I probably will mark it as closed in a couple of days,
if I don't hear otherwise.

BTW, anyone can chime on the ticket, if you will.

Cos

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Then we can be certain that document is correct, after all ;)

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Sat, 2015-10-17 at 00:15 +1000, Paul King wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to mention that one. As per licenses/jsr166y-BINZIP.txt
> (EG = Expert Group):
>
> ---
> JSR166y License (optionally used by the optional GPars dependency)
>
> This product bundles the jsr166y jar (containing works from
> the JSR-166 EG, Doug Lea, and Jason T. Greene) made available in
> the public domain.  For details, see licenses/jsr166y-license.
> ---
>
> Also, I think the links on the Groovy site should be very close to
> what we want now.

Is it intended that the gpars artefact is part of the distribution? If
not then the jsr166y artefact need not be part of the distribution. If
gpars is in the distribution, then do we need to note that it contains
a vendor fork of extra166y for legal purity reasons?

We have never worried about these levels of detail before as most
things were ASL 2.0 and Doug's stuff is all public domain – well except
that you can't have public domain in some jurisdictions I understand.

--
Russel.

Re: [mentors] experimental graduation maturity assessment in view of graduating Groovy

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Yes, assemble.gradle generates the 11 different LICENSE files and 9
different NOTICE files that we need to cover our various (mostly jar
and binary convenience zip) artifacts with all the picky details.

The gradle license report plugin though (at least in it's current
form) is just a cross-check. It lists optional dependencies of
optional dependencies, e.g. Multiverse. Multiverse, again just as an
example, happens to be open source and ASLv2 but we don't require or
include that in any of our jars/convenience binaries anywhere so it
doesn't appear in our N&L files. (And of course we can help make that
plugin smarter over time in terms of what it understands and reports.)

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
<ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Such a list was written for the proposal:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GroovyProposal
>
> Since then we have made a great effort towards generating different LICENSE
> files depending on the artifacts we produce. Everything can be found in the
> license directory:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/tree/master/licenses
>
> And assembling the licenses depending on the artifacts is done here:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/gradle/assemble.gradle
>
> I am kind of reluctant to write the list explicitly where we have tools to
> check everything (Rat plugin, license report): the list could become
> obsolete very easily without us noticing.

Agreed. Our source dependency license/notice info is already in the
source release. Our runtime dependency license/notice info is already
in the respective jars/zips. RAT does a check on our source files. And
now the gradle license report plugin does a cross-check on what we
already know from the license files. I believe we are well and truly
covered.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Cédric Champeau
<ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Such a list was written for the proposal:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GroovyProposal

ok, that's a good basis.

I'll mention that and add the links to the licenses and assemble.gradle info.

> ...I am kind of reluctant to write the list explicitly where we have tools to
> check everything (Rat plugin, license report): the list could become
> obsolete very easily without us noticing...

Sure, my suggestion to have a list was just in reaction to say "most
licenses"...

I'll update the maturity document and resolve LC20 and LC30 with that.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
Should we mention that most of the dependencies are optional, runtime
dependencies and not source dependencies. In that case GPars would only
appear in the convenience binary zip.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
I added the gradle license report plugin to our build. I suspect that
covers off LC20 and LC30.

To generate the report, run:
$ gradlew generateLicenseReport

The default is for the runtime configuration which is what LC20 and
LC30 are applicable to I believe. It isn't particularly pretty,
doesn't collapse duplicates (12 in our case) and doesn't currently
indicate which of our dependencies are optional but it does show that
all the mandatory and optional runtime dependencies are covered by
ASL2 or BSD.
Notes:
Ignoring the duplicates there are about a dozen dependencies (10 of
those are optional dependencies)
Multiverse is an optional dependency of an optional dependency and has
no license info in it's pom but is ASL2 as per
https://github.com/pveentjer/Multiverse.
Openbeans (used within the optional Drooid component) also has no pom
and so is excluded from the report but is ASL2.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
> ==== LC20
> _Libraries that are mandatory dependencies of the project's code do not create more restrictions than the Apache License does._
>
> TODO: do we have a documented verification of that? JIRA ticket?

The Groovy all jar bundles ASM and ANTLR as per
licenses/LICENSE-JARJAR file (this is embedded in that Jar). There are
no other mandatory library dependencies when using Groovy.

Although strictly outside of a formal release, the binary convenience
artifacts also have similar license info, e.g. looking inside
LICENSE-BINZIP you will see:
Hamcrest License (needed when using optional JUnit dependency)
JLine2 License (optional dependency used with groovysh)
JSR166y License (optionally used by the optional GPars dependency)
JUnit License (optional dependency when using Groovy for testing)
XStream License (optional dependency when serializing AST as XML)

As for build/tool dependencies, these can be found as mentioned
earlier using 'gradlew dependencies". These are all open source
libraries.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> wrote:
>> ==== CS10
> There is this page here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/groovy.html
>
> We didn't spell out PMC/PPMC on that page. If we did, would that be
> what is expected?..

Yes but that's kind of duplicate information.

Actually, this is only relevant once the project graduates, as the
current podling's PMC does not have formal decision power.

I have changed CS10 to "OK: will be at
people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#groovy-pmc once the
project graduates."

> $ gradlew dependencies
> gives a fairly comprehensive list of dependencies including build.tool
> dependencies.

Am I correct that the below "runtime" output of that represents what's
needed to use Groovy? If yes we need IMO to document the licenses of
these libraries, maybe just in a jira ticket so we keep a trace of it.

I don't see any potential problems, it's just to do that cleanly.

-Bertrand

runtime - Runtime classpath for source set 'main'.
+--- antlr:antlr:2.7.7
+--- org.ow2.asm:asm:5.0.3
+--- org.ow2.asm:asm-analysis:5.0.3
|    \--- org.ow2.asm:asm-tree:5.0.3
|         \--- org.ow2.asm:asm:5.0.3
+--- org.ow2.asm:asm-commons:5.0.3
|    \--- org.ow2.asm:asm-tree:5.0.3 (*)
+--- org.ow2.asm:asm-tree:5.0.3 (*)
+--- org.ow2.asm:asm-util:5.0.3
|    \--- org.ow2.asm:asm-tree:5.0.3 (*)
+--- commons-cli:commons-cli:1.3.1
+--- org.apache.ant:ant:1.9.6
|    \--- org.apache.ant:ant-launcher:1.9.6
+--- com.thoughtworks.xstream:xstream:1.4.8
+--- com.googlecode:openbeans:1.0
+--- org.fusesource.jansi:jansi:1.11
+--- org.apache.ivy:ivy:2.4.0
\--- org.codehaus.gpars:gpars:1.2.1
     +--- org.multiverse:multiverse-core:0.7.0
     \--- org.codehaus.jsr166-mirror:jsr166y:1.7.0

Re: [mentors] experimental graduation maturity assessment in view of graduating Groovy

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Cédric,

Posted by Balachandran Sivakumar <ga...@brahman.balachandran.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015, Cédric Champeau wrote:

> It's there in multiple places: the "fork me" banner on the upper right corner and contribute page: http://groovy-lang.org/contribute.html

     It is there at the bottom of the home page as well in the "About"
column. There is a link labled "Source code" pointing to the github
mirror. Thanks

--
Thank you,
Balachandran Sivakumar

Re: [mentors] experimental graduation maturity assessment in view of graduating Groovy

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bertrand for setting this up. I like the idea of having concrete,
non subjective criteria for graduating, even if it could mean in our case
that graduating would be "stricter". Here are some of my comments on the
TODOS:

*CD20*

> The project’s code is easily discoverable and publicly accessible.

> TODO: http://groovy.apache.org/ redirects to http://groovy-lang.org/, do
we plan on keeping it like that?

At least for me, yes. The model is OpenOffice, which has it's dedicated
domain. It's also much easier for us given our publication model (docs in
subdomains, ...) and the history of the project. My vision to this, what we
might do is using groovy.a.o for *development of Groovy itself*, while
groovy-lang.org would be the user facing site.

>TODO: http://groovy-lang.org/ does not include an obvious link to the code
repository (unless I missed something)

It's there in multiple places: the "fork me" banner on the upper right
corner and contribute page: http://groovy-lang.org/contribute.html

*LC20*

> Libraries that are mandatory dependencies of the project’s code do not
create more restrictions than the Apache License does.

> TODO: do we have a documented verification of that? JIRA ticket?

Apart from using Rat, no, I don't think we have. But I think it adresses
LC30. We don't have any dependency which is not OSS or not approved.

*RE40*

> Convenience binaries can be distributed alongside source code but they
are not Apache Releases — they are just a convenience provided with no
guarantee.

> TODO check the status of binaries in existing releases and briefly
document it here.

Votes and announcements explicitly refer to those binaries as convenience
binaries.

*QU30*

> The project provides a well-documented channel to report security issues,
along with a documented way of responding to them.

> TODO: http://groovy-lang.org/ does not include that information as far as
I can see. See also
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#navigation for required
links on the project’s homepage.

We have http://groovy-lang.org/security.html, but not linked from top-level
page or menu. The mandatory links must be added.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.