Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by xdzgor <pk...@alphasolutions.dk> on 2010/06/09 12:08:10 UTC

how to get multicore to work?

Hi - I can't seem to get "multicores" to work. I have a solr installtion
which does not have a "solr.xml" file - I assume this means it is not
multicore.

If I create a solr.xml, as described on
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin, my solr installation fails - for
example I get 404 errors when trying to search, and "solr/admin" does not
work.

Is there more than simply making solr.xml to get multicores to work?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: how to get multicore to work?

Posted by Chris Rode <ci...@gmail.com>.
If you take a look in the examples directory there is a directory called
multicore. This is an example of the solrhome of a multicore setup.

Otherwise take a look at the logged output of Solr itself. It should tell
you what is wrong with the setup

Re: AW: how to get multicore to work?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: As it stands, solr works fine, and sites like
: http://locahost:8983/solr/admin also work.
:
: As soon as I put a solr.xml in the solr directory, and restart the tomcat
: service. It all stops working.
: <solr persistent="false">
:   <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">
:     <core name="core0" instanceDir="." />
:   </cores>
: </solr>

You need to elaborate on "It all stops working" ... what does that mean?
what are you trying to do? and what errors are you getting?

when i take an existing (functional) Solr 1.4 SolrHome dir, and drop that
solr.xml file into it, everything works as expected for me....

  1. Solr starts up
  2. This URL lists a link to the admin page for a single core named
     "core0"...
     http://localhost:8983/solr/
  3. This URL let's me use core0...
     http://localhost:8983/solr/core0/admin/
  4. this URL (specified in your solr.xml) let's my admin the cores
     (ie: view-status/add/remove/reload) ...
     http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores

-Hoss

Re: AW: how to get multicore to work?

Posted by xdzgor <pk...@alphasolutions.dk>.
Thanks for the comments. I still can't get this multicore thing to work!

Here is my directory structure:

d:
__apachesolr
____lucidworks
______lucidworks
________solr
__________bin
__________conf
__________lib
________tomcat

There is no solr.xml, and solr.solr.home points to
d:\apachesolr\lucidworkd\lucidworks\solr

As it stands, solr works fine, and sites like
http://locahost:8983/solr/admin also work.

As soon as I put a solr.xml in the solr directory, and restart the tomcat
service. It all stops working.
<solr persistent="false">
  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">
    <core name="core0" instanceDir="." />
  </cores>
</solr>

Any idea where I can look?
Where is the solr startup log written?

Thanks,
Peter

AW: how to get multicore to work?

Posted by Ma...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
- solr.xml have to reside in the solr.home dir. you can setup this with the java-option
  -Dsolr.solr.home=xxxx
- admin is per core, so solr/CORENAME/admin will work

it is quite simple to setup.