Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Raymond Ng <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/15 12:51:29 UTC

watermark location

Hi

I'm trying to locate where the watermark is written to, is it on the kafka
server / zookeeper or where kafka spouts are deployed?

--
Rgds
Ray

Re: watermark location

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
There may be some confusion of terminology
  hw mark == highest offset the server will give to consumers, based on
what is sync'd to disk (0.7) or replicated to multiple machines (0.8)
  consumer offset == consumer's position in the stream (always less than hw
mark, by definition)

As Jun says in 0.7 we take the HW mark from the log and cache it in memory.

The consumer offset is stored in zookeeper.

Hope that helped clarify.

-Jay

Re: watermark location

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.