Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Erik Berndt <er...@superiorpaving.net.INVALID> on 2020/08/14 14:24:41 UTC

Users authenticating but unable to login to RDP Server

Hello,

We are suddenly faced with users who are able to authenticate against the
Guacamole server, but the connecting isn't being passed through to the
Windows RDP server.

Relevant lines from catalina.out show

10:18:13.490 [http-nio-8080-exec-3] INFO
 o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - User "[redacted] successfully
authenticated from [redacted, redacted, 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1].

After authentication, they receive a connection error message stating that
the connecting has been closed because the server is taking too long to
respond...

The user have no issue logging into the Windows RDP server natively and
there are no firewall rules in place that would prevent this (that I'm
aware of).

We're using v1.00. Does anyone have any guesses as to what could could be
causing this?

Thanks!

Erik Berndt

--

This
 e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are

addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient or the person

responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be

advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,

dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately
notify Superior Paving Corp. by telephone at (703)
631-0004.  You will be
reimbursed for reasonable costs incurred in
notifying us.

Re: Users authenticating but unable to login to RDP Server

Posted by Erik Berndt <er...@superiorpaving.net.INVALID>.
> Any network changes, security software, firewalls - anything like that
between the browsers and the Guacamole Client (Tomcat) server, or between
Tomcat and guacd?

No, both are running on the same server, so as far as I can tell
connectivity isn't an issue. The behavior occurs across different browsers
(Edge, Chrome, Firefox) and systems running AV or not.

Erik Berndt / Systems Administrator

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erik Berndt <er...@superiorpaving.net.INVALID>.
It's Ubuntu 16.04. This is the output of journalctl -u guacd.service -f

Aug 17 08:22:38 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: All supported devices
sent.
Aug 17 08:22:38 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: Device 0 (Guacamole
Printer) connected successfully
Aug 17 08:22:38 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: Device 1 (Guacamole
Filesystem) connected successfully
Aug 17 08:26:33 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: User is not responding.
Aug 17 08:26:33 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: User
"@762ba9a6-9e8e-492f-94e8-d1fcf35a3978" disconnected (0 users remain)
Aug 17 08:26:33 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: Last user of
connection "$c84cc536-2af8-4859-be05-3d3fed46baaf" disconnected
Aug 17 08:26:33 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: Unloading device 0
(Guacamole Printer)
Aug 17 08:26:33 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: Unloading device 1
(Guacamole Filesystem)
Aug 17 08:26:33 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15410]: Internal RDP client
disconnected
Aug 17 08:26:33 www.superiorpaving.net guacd[15382]: Connection
"$c84cc536-2af8-4859-be05-3d3fed46baaf" removed.

Erik Berndt / Systems Administrator
5551 Wellington Rd, Gainesville, VA 20155
703.631.0004 x520 (Phone) / 703.257.1725 (Fax)
https://www.superiorpaving.net

Need to open an IT support ticket?
http://FixIT.superiorpaving.net/portal or FixIT@superiorpaving.net

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erik Berndt-2 <er...@superiorpaving.net.INVALID>.
Ghost_Knight wrote
> In addition to Nick’s comment, what parameters are set for the RDP
> connection in the Web UI?  Mainly looking at the username/password fields.
>
> The RDP connection is using NLA with ${GUAC_USERNAME} and ${GUAC_PASSWORD}
> for the username/password fields. There is no change here and this was
> working previously. I did notice that the unsuccessful connections are
> logged under the admin console as successful (albeit for 0:00 seconds :)
>
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 7:57 PM Nick Couchman &lt;

> vnick@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Erik Berndt
>> &lt;

> erikberndt@.net

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are suddenly faced with users who are able to authenticate against
>>> the
>>> Guacamole server, but the connecting isn't being passed through to the
>>> Windows RDP server.
>>>
>>> Relevant lines from catalina.out show
>>>
>>> 10:18:13.490 [http-nio-8080-exec-3] INFO
>>>  o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - User "[redacted] successfully
>>> authenticated from [redacted, redacted, 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1].
>>>
>>> After authentication, they receive a connection error message stating
>>> that the connecting has been closed because the server is taking too
>>> long
>>> to respond...
>>>
>>> The user have no issue logging into the Windows RDP server natively and
>>> there are no firewall rules in place that would prevent this (that I'm
>>> aware of).
>>>
>>> We're using v1.00. Does anyone have any guesses as to what could could
>>> be
>>> causing this?
>>>

>> I'd say the first thing to check is to make sure guacd is actually
>> running.  If users can log in to the Web interface, then Tomcat is
>> running,
>> but guacd might be stopped/dead and that could cause the issue you're
>> seeing.
>>
>> Beyond that, look at the log output of guacd (generally logged to syslog)
>> and see what errors are showing up there.
>>
>> -Nick

vnick wrote

Posted by Tim Worcester <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.