Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2003/12/09 02:21:43 UTC

Releasing Plugins

Vincent,

I was going to release the FAQ plugin for Martin and was wondering what
you've been doing. Figure I would try to quickly integrate your
procedure into the release plugin and use that. I think Brett's SCM
plugin can deal with the tagging and such so if you don't have something
automated I'll try to whip something off because I don't want to have to
remember how to do it again :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Releasing Plugins

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

AM:

> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > Cool. Here's my checklist (from the top of my head):
> >
> > 1/ modify project.xml and remove -SNAPSHOT
> > 2/ modify project.xml to change the <version>: move HEAD to
> > MAVEN_[plugin name]_[version major]_[version minor]
> > 3/ modify changes.xml to change the release date
> > 4/ modify navigation.xml and add a link to download the new plugin
> > version (in the download menu - add it if it doesn't exist)
> > 5/ prepare an announcement text file which includes information from
> > changes.xml and add maven compatibility information in it. Note: I'm
> > trying to automate this part in the announcement plugin.
> > 6/ build the plugin (maven plugin:install) and test it (maven
> > plugin:test)
> > 7/ upload the plugin jar (ATM, I do: pscp ... and then I log on
ibiblio
> > and call create_checksum.sh. Then I do a "chmod g+w *".
>
> I do this step using the repository plugin, as per the notes on the
web
> site.
>
> > 8/ commit
>
> I do this before step 7.
>
> > 9/ build the doc. Check it is ok. Deploy it: maven site:deploy.
Note:
> > The maven plugin jar has to be on ibiblio so that the download link
is
> > not reported as 404 by the linkcheck plugin
>
> I do step 9 after step 10.
>
> > 10/ Tag CVS
> > 11/ Modify JIRA to show that the new version is now *released*.
Create a
> > new entry for the next version. Automatically reaffect all assigned
> > issues to the new version if they are still open.
> > 12/ modify project.xml to bump the version number (using the
SNAPSHOT
> > suffix)
>
> I don't automatically bump the version number, as it has lead to
releases
> of the plugin on a maven release with absolutely no change from the
> previous release. I let the person making the first change bump it.

Yeah, except that I've found that if you don't do this, some people
forget about it. This is same as for 11/. It doesn't harm to do it I
think.

The reason it was leading to releases with no changes was that the
plugins were tied to the Maven release. This is no longer true.

> > 13/ modify changes.xml and add en empty <release> tag for the new
> > version, using "in CVS" for the release date
>
> See 12/
>
> > 14/ Send announcement to MLs.
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

[...]