Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by George Walsh <gj...@netscape.net> on 2003/04/03 21:49:57 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts; document root as seen fromalocaluser account and from the internet

Hi again, Lee!

Well, I've cleared both caches for both browsers without any effect.

The listing for www.cruiseroutes.com is correct in /etc/hosts.

Recall that on the local server, everything is working perfectly as far as I can determine. Its only when one enters from the outside ...

So, as always when I find myself explaining what I am doing to someone else, I tend to 'listen to myself' at the same time. Outside means through the LinkSys Router - essentially a nat unit. In there, I know that WAN blocking is turned off as it should be, but I also noticed that forwarding has been turned on for affected ports. And that forwarding is set to 192.168.1.10. I can forward traffic from as many ports as I require, but only to one IP address - in this case that of the main server. Ahah.

So .... to try things out I removed forwarding entirely. Then, not surprisingly, when I entered URL www.cruiseroutes.com on the external browser, it couldn't resolve. Nor could it resolve the literal ip address 192.168.1.11. Fair enough - proved that forwarding works.

That means I am left with the need to interfere with incoming traffic and redirect it to the correct IP. I assume this is possible. I see lots of references to such rewriting but have never attempted to use it.

Am I on the right track here?

Regards,

"George"

>  Something is fishy.  The main server is at 192.168.1.10.
>  www.cruiseroutes.com is at 192.168.1.11.  www.xprservices.com is
>  at 192.168.1.12.
>
>  You enter www.cruiseroutes.com in the browser and get the default
>  page for 192.168.1.10?  Yet nslookup says the IP is 192.168.1.11.
>  Have you tried emptying the cache on the browsers you are using?
>  Did www.cruiseroutes.com ever have 192.168.1.10 as its IP address
>  at some earlier point during testing, and did you use these browsers
>  to access it at that address before?  If so, try emptying the cache,
>  both memory- and disk-based.  Is there, by chance, an entry in the
>  hosts file for www.cruiseroutes.com pointing the 192.168.1.10 on the
>  remote machine?
>

>--
>Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>

George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,
DSC Directional Services Corp
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts; document root as seen fromalocaluser account and from the internet

Posted by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>.
On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 14:49, George Walsh wrote:

> That means I am left with the need to interfere with incoming traffic
> and redirect it to the correct IP. I assume this is possible. I see lots
> of references to such rewriting but have never attempted to use it.
>
> Am I on the right track here?

  Others can probably help you better with that then I can.  If the
  router/firewall system you are using is only able to do port forwarding,
  no NAT ability to inside machines, then it sounds right.  You could
  go to name-based virtual hosts if you do not need SSL support.  Another
  possibility would be proxying to the proper host.

  Sounds like you have a good handle on it.

--
Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>