Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Robert Pepersack <RP...@mdinsurance.state.md.us> on 2006/10/10 22:24:09 UTC

Check to See If Directory Exists

Hi all,

I need to check to see if a directory exists, and if not, then create
the directory.  But, if the directory already exists, then leave it
alone, because it may already contain some important files.  I have more
than a dozen directories to check for, and I would like to find a way to
do this that's less verbose than a bunch of <property> and <available>
tasks.  Does anyone know how?

Here's the equivalent command from a batch file:

if not exist c:\myapp mkdir c:\myapp

Thanks,

Bob

Robert Pepersack
Senior Lead Developer
Maryland Insurance Administration
410-468-2054

Re: Check to See If Directory Exists

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
<mkdir dir="x"/> will create the directory x if it does not
exist, otherwise it does nothing.

Peter

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
> I need to check to see if a directory exists, and if not, then create
> the directory.  But, if the directory already exists, then leave it
> alone, because it may already contain some important files.  I have more
> than a dozen directories to check for, and I would like to find a way to
> do this that's less verbose than a bunch of <property> and <available>
> tasks.  Does anyone know how?
>
> Here's the equivalent command from a batch file:
>
> if not exist c:\myapp mkdir c:\myapp

Well, since <mkdir> is a no-op for an existing directory, you don't
even need to use <available>. And to process several dirs, either
manually write all the <mkdir>s, or select the dirs in a <fileset> or
<path>, and loop over it using Ant-Contrib's <for> task. --DD