Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/01/01 11:06:17 UTC

Re: Handing over Cocoon Bean code

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

[...]
>> o.a.c.Main.java is conceptually part of a CLI environment.
>> And o.a.c.servlet.*Servlet.java is conceptually part ot a servlet
>> Environment.
>>
>> Then we would have an Ant environment, a mailet one, and a bean one.
>> Each with a different frontend and "wrapper", which is the environment.
>>
>> I have already separated these on my hd in two different dirs in
>>  ./src/environments/cli/**
>>  ./src/environments/servlet/**
>>
>> So that Cocoon core is not dependent on servlets, and we can for
>> example run a minimal "embedded" Cocoon without the servlet stuff.
>>
>> Legacy package names confuse IMHO the correct conceptual and actual
>> layering of Cocoon.
>

> I totally resonate with this vision, but my concerns still hold. Please,
> bear with me. If we have
>
>  ./src/environments/cli/*
>  ./src/environments/servlet/*
>  ./src/environments/mailet/*
>  ./src/environments/ant/*
>
> this means that these folders contain the 'environments' for the various
> usages of the cocoon core (I like 'core' over bean).
>
> So it stroke me as odd to see 'core' having anything to do with
> environments, that's why I asked.

(I'll still call 'core env' 'bean env' to be more clear, but I agree
with you in the end)

Ok, I see now. The fact is simply that cocoon cannot work without an
environment. So the "core" without an environment is useless, but it's
still the core... it all boils down to what "core" means.

/If/ I take the servlet environment and the cli one out of the core, the
core does not work. This means that the "working core" would be
core+1environment impl, where the env. impl. is any of the
./src/environments/**

Stepping back a moment, would we want a core that is not self
sustaining? I think no. So the default environment kept in core would be
the bean one. But there needs to be a bean one, without an env. impl.
Cocoon doesn't work.

Finally, since it's in the core, it would be the 'core' environment.

I see it in o.a.c.environments.impl.core, that's why I said it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -