Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Abhinav Solan <ab...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/19 01:19:59 UTC

Kafka Consumer stops consuming from a topic

Hi Everyone,

Here are my settings
Using Kafka 0.9.0.1, 1 instance (as we are testing things on a staging
environment)
Subscribing to 4 topics from a single Consumer application with 4 threads

Now the server keeps on working fine for a while, then after about 3-4 hrs
or so, it stops consuming at all.
I started my own Consumer Instance and one Kafka Console Consumer, I can
see messages coming in the console consumer but not in my Consumer instance.

There are some messages which are coming through but not all messages, then
after a while I restarted the Consumer instance, then again nothing coming
through .. then I restarted the Kafka Server and then I could see all the
messages coming through.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem ?
Is it because I am running only single broker ?

Here are the properties I am setting for the Consumer -
fetch.min.bytes=1
max.partition.fetch.bytes=8192
heartbeat.interval.ms=10000

I have written up my Consumer using
http://docs.confluent.io/2.0.1/clients/consumer.html

Thanks,
Abhinav

Re: Kafka Consumer stops consuming from a topic

Posted by OGrandeDiEnne <og...@gmail.com>.
Mmh... Some time ago we had an issue with Kafka 0.8.x

The consumer was extremely slow ( the CPU was sucked up by other processes)
and it was not picking up any message. Looking at Zookeeper we saw the
offset was committed as the messages were already read by the consumer.

We disabled auto back and the consumer picked up all the messages again
(not ack ing them anymore..)

So, all of this made me think that there is a race condition between the
consumer actual message pick up and the offset being committed.

This was just a theory. We already had in plan to disable auto ack so we
did not investigate further.

Valerio

Posted by Abhinav Solan <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Garcia <da...@spiceworks.com>.
Ah ok.  Another dumb question: what about acks?  Are you using auto-ack?

On 7/19/16, 10:00 AM, "Abhinav Solan" <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:

    If I add 2 more nodes and make it a cluster .. would that help ? Have
    searched forums and all this kind of thing is not there ... If we have a

Posted by Abhinav Solan <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Abhinav Solan <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Garcia <da...@spiceworks.com>.

Posted by Abhinav Solan <ab...@gmail.com>.