Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by janI <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/01/14 21:09:35 UTC

Mwiki possible name change.

Hi.

I want to inform the community about an ongoing discussion in Infra
regarding the use of "wiki.openoffice.org" or "wiki.openoffice.apache.org"

Background: We decided sometime ago to let me upgrade mwiki, which I did,
with great help from many in here.

After that there has been a relatively high load on the VM (very positive)
and bi-daily kernel panics due to lack of resources.

It was then decided to make a new VM with a new ubuntu, instead of an
upgrade in place (to get rid of the kernel panic) which I deemed risky due
to the state (and documentation) of the installation.

I have completed the work with the new VM, and we were ready to transfer
the live site.

At that point I learned about plans of using https instead of http.
Infra-root has a policy that all logins (not only for committers) should be
done through https.

Using https, requires a certificate, and the ongoing discussion is whether
"*.openoffice.org" is really needed or if "*.openoffice.apache.org" would
be ok.

If I have understood the details correctly (sorry for being vague, but I
have not been able to get a clear answer), the users would address https:
wiki.openoffice.org or http:wiki.openoffice.org and get a response as https:
ooo-wiki.openoffice.org or https:ooo-wiki.openoffice.apache.org.

I have written/mailed several times that openoffice.org is a legacy, very
important to AOO, and hope it has been understood. The latest discussion
seems to go in the direction of getting a certificate for openoffice.org,
but there are no guarantees.

I have informed infra, that I cannot participate in works that causes a url
name change, without having a green light from the AOO community. Meaning
that I am now just monitoring what happens and not participating.

I am sorry to have partly caused the current situation, I wanted to make a
clean installation to make the VM easier to maintain, had I not done that,
the https discussion would problaly never have surfaced.

I have no deadline for the change, mainly because it is done by others, but
I am convinced that Infra will end with a solution that the community can
accept.

Please take this as information, I cannot go into a discussion on behalf of
Infra (I am not infra, but we do have other committers that are infra).

Rgds
jan I.

Re: Mwiki possible name change.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
janI wrote:
> I am sorry to have partly caused the current situation, I wanted to make a
> clean installation to make the VM easier to maintain, had I not done that,
> the https discussion would problaly never have surfaced.

Really? Don't worry, it has been under discussion for months, you aren't
the culprit, see here:

I would prefer to acquire a certificate for *.openoffice.org here, since
it will solve other problems too (see issue).

And I would keep the wiki.openoffice.org URL, since we tend to be
consistent with it for all user resources:
{www,wiki,forum,extensions,templates}.openoffice.org
and it also sounds more natural; while of course it's absolutely fine
for me to use *.openoffice.apache.org for all sites that are meant to be
useful mostly to project members.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Mwiki possible name change.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Hello Jan;

I would think that as long as the old wiki.openoffice.org redirects to the
new site there should be no problem.

We are certainly proud to be under the Apache domain.

Pedro.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 01/14/2013 01:52 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I want to inform the community about an ongoing discussion in Infra
>> regarding the use of "wiki.openoffice.org" or "wiki.openoffice.apache.org"
>>
>> Background: We decided sometime ago to let me upgrade mwiki, which I did,
>> with great help from many in here.
>>
>> After that there has been a relatively high load on the VM (very positive)
>> and bi-daily kernel panics due to lack of resources.
>>
>> It was then decided to make a new VM with a new ubuntu, instead of an
>> upgrade in place (to get rid of the kernel panic) which I deemed risky due
>> to the state (and documentation) of the installation.
>>
>> I have completed the work with the new VM, and we were ready to transfer
>> the live site.
>>
>> At that point I learned about plans of using https instead of http.
>> Infra-root has a policy that all logins (not only for committers) should be
>> done through https.
>>
>> Using https, requires a certificate, and the ongoing discussion is whether
>> "*.openoffice.org" is really needed or if "*.openoffice.apache.org" would
>> be ok.
>>
>> If I have understood the details correctly (sorry for being vague, but I
>> have not been able to get a clear answer), the users would address https:
>> wiki.openoffice.org or http:wiki.openoffice.org and get a response as https:
>> ooo-wiki.openoffice.org or https:ooo-wiki.openoffice.apache.org.
>>

> IMHO renaming goes in the wrong direction.

Ok, maybe I'm confused here, but I think Jan is saying users would still
connect to http:wiki.openoffice.org but be transferred to
https: ooo-wiki.openoffice.org.

Well, OK, this really IS a "renaming", actually creating a new host I
guess, but, I'm not sure I see the problem here.

  I think we should be
> looking to get the entire website on to one domain, either all on
> openoffice.org or all on openoffice.apache.org.   Splitting things up
> is confusing for users, makes extra work for us (and for Infra),
> confuses the hell out of Google Analytics.

Oh OK, well this makes all kind of sense. :}

> I'd really like to see everything under one domain, including our blog
> and even CWiki (or migrate CWiki over to MWiki).
>
> That's my ideal.   Is it impossible?

I wouldn't think so. Maybe we need to wait to see what develops with the
wiki situation, then go from there after the fact.

and a ps. Yes, ANYTHING requiring a log in should be https.

>> I have written/mailed several times that openoffice.org is a legacy, very
>> important to AOO, and hope it has been understood. The latest discussion
>> seems to go in the direction of getting a certificate for openoffice.org,
>> but there are no guarantees.

Well we would still do redirects for the old name. Not much to worry
about there.

> Is the issue cost?  We could do a mini-fundraising plea on our
> homepage.  I bet we could raise the necessary funds for the
> certificate.
>
> Note:  If I understand the security concern with the login, aren't we
> in the same issue with the phpBB forums?  Would a single cert be able
> to cover that as well?  Or do we need one cert per subdomain?

If we are, this should be changed also.

> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>

>> I have informed infra, that I cannot participate in works that causes a url
>> name change, without having a green light from the AOO community. Meaning
>> that I am now just monitoring what happens and not participating.
>>
>> I am sorry to have partly caused the current situation, I wanted to make a
>> clean installation to make the VM easier to maintain, had I not done that,
>> the https discussion would problaly never have surfaced.
>>
>> I have no deadline for the change, mainly because it is done by others, but
>> I am convinced that Infra will end with a solution that the community can
>> accept.
>>
>> Please take this as information, I cannot go into a discussion on behalf of
>> Infra (I am not infra, but we do have other committers that are infra).
>>
>> Rgds
>> jan I.

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                  -- Aesop

Re: Mwiki possible name change.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
janI wrote:
> I just tried ooo-wiki.apache.org again, without cache and gets response
> from wiki.openoffice.org.

I've tried now and for people who cannot access *.openoffice.org we have:

Main site: http://ooo-site.apache.org/
Forum: http://ooo-forum.apache.org

In both cases requests are NOT redirected, so they will work if the
company blocks *.openoffice.org.

About the wiki, I confirm what Jan wrote: we also have

Wiki: http://ooo-wiki.apache.org

but in this case it is redirected to wiki.openoffice.org so it won't
work behind that company firewall.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Re: Mwiki possible name change.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
於 2013年01月19日 03:25, janI 提到:
> On 18 January 2013 19:39, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:

>>> Did you mean that ? both are redirected !
>>
>>     I thought I was making mistakes, so I tried again.  Only
>> user.services.openoffice.org and wiki.services.openoffice.org are
>> redirected to forums.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org,
>> respectively.  All other host names, if exist (and yes they exist), are
>> not redirected.
>>
>>     The DNS are pointed to the same IP.  I mean the URLs (where httpd
>> deal with) are redirected or not redirected.
>>
> I just tried ooo-wiki.apache.org again, without cache and gets response
> from wiki.openoffice.org.
>
> It is correct though that ooo-forums.apache.org comes with a page, and if I
> try forums.openoffice.org then I am redirected to
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/forums/ which does not exist. I am sure
> you have a typo there and mean forum.openoffice.org which works.
>
> As part of the change to wiki2-vm, the url-request goes through a common
> proxy server, and there some of the old names have not been activated, one
> of infra checked each of the names.

    Ouch, you are right. ^^;  Thank you for updating information.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/
Greenfoot Taiwan http://greenfoot.westart.tw/

Re: Mwiki possible name change.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 18 January 2013 19:39, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:

> On 2013/01/19 02:30, janI said:

> >>     You may try ooo-wiki.apache.org and ooo-forums.apache.org instead.
> >> These two host names are not redirected to wiki.openoffice.org and
> >> forums.openoffice.org.
> >>
> > Did you mean that ? both are redirected !
>
>     I thought I was making mistakes, so I tried again.  Only
> user.services.openoffice.org and wiki.services.openoffice.org are
> redirected to forums.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org,
> respectively.  All other host names, if exist (and yes they exist), are
> not redirected.
>
>     The DNS are pointed to the same IP.  I mean the URLs (where httpd
> deal with) are redirected or not redirected.

I just tried ooo-wiki.apache.org again, without cache and gets response
from wiki.openoffice.org.

It is correct though that ooo-forums.apache.org comes with a page, and if I
try forums.openoffice.org then I am redirected to
http://www.openoffice.org/projects/forums/ which does not exist. I am sure
you have a typo there and mean forum.openoffice.org which works.

As part of the change to wiki2-vm, the url-request goes through a common
proxy server, and there some of the old names have not been activated, one
of infra checked each of the names.

    Technically, only when the value in the "Host:" header in the HTTP
> request are either user.services.openoffice.org or
> wiki.services.openoffice.org, the request will be redirected.  All other
> value in the "Host:" header in the HTTP request are kept intact.

? This does not match the http conf on wiki2 ? Is this information new ?

if you make  a nslookup, you will see that ooo-wiki.apache.org still goes
directly to the vm.

The header should hopefully not be modified, at least that was what we
tested yesterday, but the proxy sends the request to a new address
(ooo-wiki2).

As a sidenote, we also have wikitest.openoffice.org active.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by 依瑪貓 <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.