Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/10 17:00:46 UTC

Continuum 1.2 this month?

There are over 100 issues marked fixed for Continuum 1.2, with 30+
still outstanding.

I'd like to release 1.2 soon, and slot the remaining issues into
1.2.1, 1.2.2, etc.

Thoughts?

--
Wendy

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
I'm sure releasing redback is not as complicated as releasing maven scm

:-))))

--
Olivier

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> But before I'd like to give a chance to Emmanuel to finish the redback
> stuff :-).
> It's only one new admin user page : it's not a big change.

If you're going to wait for that, then you might as well delete the
branch and do the release from the trunk.  The only thing different on
the branch should be the release notes.

--
Wendy

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
oops, sorry.. hehe 1.2.0 :)

-deng

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
1.2 or 1.2.0 ?

:-)

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
go go 1.2! :)

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Fixed.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Essentially, the Appearance feature has been removed in 1.2.0, because
> it does not work.

... and it looks like you're working on this on trunk as we speak!
(Missing from irc though. :) )

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> As commented in the issue.
> -1 to move CONTINUUM-1831 to 1.2.1
> It's a regression !
> I don't think having a page which always failed with a NPE it's good !!

I agree that releasing something with a NPE is not good.  On the
branch, that no longer happens, because (unless you know the url)
there's no way to get to the page.  It's not on the menu and not
mentioned in the docs.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 30/08/2008, at 3:02 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... I'm thinking a move to Redback 1.1 belongs in Continuum 1.3+.
>>
>> Historically we've seen issues with the Redback integration.  (Not
>> necessarily a problem in Redback itself, just the complication of
>> integrating it into a different app.)  I don't want to risk
>> destabilizing Continuum 1.2 by moving to a new version of Redback.
>
> The code is identical, all that changed is the group ID.

Well, then why is it 1.1?  That just scares people. :)

Based on that news it could go into 1.2.x, but given the 100+ issues
already solved for 1.2 I'd just as soon stop now and get 1.2 out with
all the new features it _already_ has.

I'm keeping notes here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONTINUUM/Continuum+1.2.0+Release+Diary

So far, the only real problem I see is the NPE for the Appearance
link.  I'm planning to comment out a few things so it doesn't show on
the menu or in the docs for 1.2.0.  Problem solved. :)  Once it's
fixed on trunk we can decide whether to merge it back.

--
Wendy

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

On 30/08/2008, at 3:02 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Hmmm... I'm thinking a move to Redback 1.1 belongs in Continuum 1.3+.
>
> Historically we've seen issues with the Redback integration.  (Not
> necessarily a problem in Redback itself, just the complication of
> integrating it into a different app.)  I don't want to risk
> destabilizing Continuum 1.2 by moving to a new version of Redback.

The code is identical, all that changed is the group ID.

>>> I'm not sure what the version number on trunk should be if I branch
>>> for 1.2.0.  But we can sort that out later I guess.
>>
>> 1.3 or 2.0, I don't know yet.
>
> /me _leans_ towards 1.3, incremental change is good.

+1. We've still got a lot of little things to get right before the big
things :)

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
<em...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So, branch for 1.2.x and change trunk to 1.3 ?
>
> ok.

>> I'm not sure how extensive the changes in Redback are, but I'm
>> concerned about switching from 1.0 to 1.1 this late in the game.
>
> When do you want to start the release?

Today, barring anything blocking that I don't know about.

> I'll can finish my changes for Monday evening.
> If you can wait until it, it would be cool, otherwise it will go in 1.2.1
> with redback 1.0.3

I think that would be best.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Today I will call a vote on scm 1.1.
> >> Then a vote on new continuum parent version 2.
> >
> > Great!
>
> ... and it looks like that all happened, but now there's a snapshot
> dependency on Redback.

Yes :-)

> I commented on the commit and the issue I think is related
> (CONTINUUM-1858) to see if it can go on a branch, but on second
> thought I think I'd like to branch for the release instead.  That
> seems less disruptive to the people who want to continue with their
> work on trunk.
>
> So, branch for 1.2.x and change trunk to 1.3 ?

ok.

> I'm not sure how extensive the changes in Redback are, but I'm
> concerned about switching from 1.0 to 1.1 this late in the game.

When do you want to start the release?

I'll can finish my changes for Monday evening.
If you can wait until it, it would be cool, otherwise it will go in 1.2.1
with redback 1.0.3

My changes to do to finish my latest changes:
- Add parent roles in the role page
- Remove all users in 'available users' list if they are defined in a parent
role
- it is impossible to modify the role description actually

It isn't a big work to do and the actual code works fine, but I think I was
alone to test it :)

Emmanuel

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Today I will call a vote on scm 1.1.
> Then a vote on new continuum parent version 2.

Great!

> Concerning the blocking issue CONTINUUM-1831, I will try to work on
> this week end (but If you have time to work on you are welcome ;-) ).
>
> Concerning CONTINUUM-1489, I have other fixes to apply in order to
> fully remove plexus-formica and to enable proxy use (but I don't have
> testing proxy for this).

I don't consider either of these blockers.  If the configuration has
been moved to plain text (not sure if that was here or Archiva?) then
there's an easy workaround of editing the xml file.

I've been thinking about setting up a proxy here just so I can fully
experience the pain of living behind one. :)  But imo this can be
fixed in a .1 or .2 if it doesn't make into 1.2[.0].

--
Wendy

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Upgrading to maven-scm 1.1 will fix other issues (CONTINUUM-1521
currently some users can't use continuum if they use StarTeam !).

IMHO we don't have here a high pressure to release something ASAP this
can wait end of august.

--
Olivier

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
It's ok for me.
Emmanuel

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
... or not.  I'm going to delete the branch.  -Wendy

Re: Continuum 1.2 this month?

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <cg...@israfil.net>.
Please do.  I demoed it at Agile2008, and the additional features
(which I only breezed past) do seem really valuable, to me at any
rate.  It certainly seemed fairly stable (though I haven't read
through the outstanding issues to know if they're "in the way").
Anyway, just my (non-binding) opinion. ;)

Christian.