Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stuart White <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/03 03:51:08 UTC

Renaming all nodes in Hadoop cluster

Is it possible to rename all nodes in a Hadoop cluster and not lose
the data stored on hdfs?  Of course I'll need to update the "master"
and "slaves" files, but I'm not familiar with how hdfs tracks where it
has written all the splits of the files.  Is it possible to retain the
data written to hdfs when renaming all nodes in the cluster, and if
so, what additional configuration changes, if any, are required?

Re: Renaming all nodes in Hadoop cluster

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Renaming datanodes should not affect HDFS. HDFS does not depend on
hostname or ip for consistency of data. You can try renaming a few of
the nodes.

Of course, if you rename NameNode, you need to update the config file to
reflect that.