Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2017/07/31 05:01:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1

Dear community,

I would like to release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1.

Changes since our last release:

    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/compare/2.0.0...2.1.0-RC1

Or, in a nicer format:

    http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/whatsnew/2.1.html#version-2-1-0

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so please explore!

The release artefacts we are voting on are available here:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/2.1.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-2.1.0-RC1.tar.gz
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/2.1.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-2.1.0-RC1.tar.gz.asc
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/2.1.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-2.1.0-RC1.tar.gz.md5
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/2.1.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-2.1.0-RC1.tar.gz.sha1
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/2.1.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-2.1.0-RC1.tar.gz.sha256

Please follow the test procedure here:

    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Testing+a+Source+Release

Please remember that "RC1" is an annotation. If the vote passes, these artefacts will be released as Apache CouchDB 2.1.0.

Per the terms of the CouchDB bylaws, a lazy majority is required for approval, with binding votes counting only from PMC members. The vote will remain open for 72 hours, until 2017-08-03 @ 05:00.

"Convenience binary" builds are being uploaded now; links will follow in a subsequent email.

Please cast your votes now.

Thanks,
Joan Touzet

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the follow-up email, "support-tiger." We're aware of these
warnings, most of which relate to our need to continue to support older
versions of Erlang (back to 16B03, which ships with Ubuntu 14.04). None
of these warnings impact proper operation of CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1.

Cheers,
Joan

Posted by support-tiger <su...@tigernassau.com>.

--
Support Dept
Tiger Nassau, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ma...@jan.io>.
Heya,

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 2. Aug 2017, at 16:28, support-tiger <su...@tigernassau.com> wrote:
>
> Target Fedora 26
>
> re Fauxton - oh, it requires cookies - w/ cookies unblocked looks okay
>
> btw:  getting a lot of terminal msgs - "database does not exist - mem3_shards, load shards from db"  so guess that shards need to be specified

When you do the cluster or single-node setup, these go away.

Best
Jan

Posted by support-tiger <su...@tigernassau.com>.
Target Fedora 26

--
Support Dept
Tiger Nassau, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by support-tiger <su...@tigernassau.com>.
Target: Fedora 26

Is Fauxton supposed to be bundled with this ?  On F26 install

Posted by "Mad, Pink and Dangerous to Know" <pi...@mad.pink>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi "support-tiger,"

Thanks for the info. We have folks actively testing on CentOS and RHEL
but not Fedora. Your feedback on Fedora is useful. And Jan's point is
definitely key here - a lot of "long-timers" know their way around
compiling and installing CouchDB, but we need to do a better job with
the INSTALL.UNIX.md file. So your message is heard loud and clear.

Since your `make release` failed, it sounds like you don't have all of
the dependencies installed. And you shouldn't have to run make or
configure as sudo at all. Only pre-requisite installation, and copying
of the release artefacts to the destination directory should require
elevated privileges.

Our recommended installation path for CouchDB is /opt/couchdb, as in
sudo cp -R rel/couchdb /opt/couchdb . This is where our 'convenience
binary' deb/rpm packages place CouchDB, and the updated recommendation
in INSTALL.Unix.md. The reasoning is because CouchDB is self-contained,
including its Erlang dependencies; a machine running a compiled CouchDB
release does not need system-level Erlang packages installed. (Certain
system libraries such as ICU, SpiderMonkey, etc. must still be installed
in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, typically at /usr/lib.) In this vein CouchDB
installs similar to other "vendor" or commercial software distributions.

If we do re-add a `make install` command, it will simply do a `sudo cp
-R rel/couchdb /opt/couchdb` or similar. Per the reasoning above, we
don't support installing CouchDB into the standard /usr hierarchy.

Through the use of `local.ini` files you can control where CouchDB
writes its data and logs, which is probably what you care about the
most. The deb/rpm packages use this technique to place databases under
/var/lib/couchdb and logs under /var/log/couchdb. You can see the SPEC
file for this at

https://github.com/apache/couchdb-pkg/blob/master/rpm/SPECS/couchdb.spec

with a reminder that these packaging files are not officially part of
CouchDB's deliverables and are provided as a convenience only.

Thanks again for your email! I'm sorry you had trouble posting to the
mailing list. Your mail headers may be causing your post to get caught
for moderation.

-Joan

--
Support Dept
Tiger Nassau, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Nick Vatamaniuc <va...@gmail.com>.
CentOS 7

Used the EPEL repo and then yum install erlang. That installed Erlang R16B03

1. Verified using sha256: ok

2. Make check: ok

3. Make release: ok

4. Opened Fauxton and clicked "Verify" and all checks passed

5. Create a database and then created a replication from in Fauxton: pass

5. Left the instance running for a while and noticed these messages being
emitted by couch:

[notice] 2017-08-01T14:03:19.803227Z couchdb@localhost <0.333.0> --------
chttpd_auth_cache changes listener died database_does_not_exist at
mem3_shards:load_shards_from_db/6(line:403) <=
mem3_shards:load_shards_from_disk/1(line:378) <=
mem3_shards:load_shards_from_disk/2(line:407) <=
mem3_shards:for_docid/3(line:91) <= fabric_doc_open:go/3(line:38) <=
chttpd_auth_cache:ensure_auth_ddoc_exists/2(line:187) <=
chttpd_auth_cache:listen_for_changes/1(line:134)
[error] 2017-08-01T14:03:19.803601Z couchdb@localhost emulator --------
Error in process <0.31285.0> on node 'couchdb@localhost' with exit value:
{database_does_not_exist,[{mem3_shards,load_shards_from_db,"_users",[{file,"src/mem3_shards.erl"},{line,403}]},{mem3_shards,load_shards_from_disk,1,[{file,"src/mem3_shards.erl"},{line,378}]},{mem3_shards,load_shards_from_disk...

6. Doing the single node setup added a _users database and those message
stopped. Assuming users would set up log rotation and/or make a _users db,
don't think this should hold up the release.

+1

Great work!

Posted by support-tiger <su...@tigernassau.com>.

--
Support Dept
Tiger Nassau, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1

Re: [RESULT] (Was: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 2.1.0-RC1)

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
Woohoo congrats and thanks to everyone that helped.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Dear community,

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
This is good additional info, thank you!

Cheers
Jan

Posted by William Edney <be...@technicalpursuit.com>.
Jan -

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ma...@jan.io>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by William Edney <be...@technicalpursuit.com>.
Jan -

Posted by "Johannes J. Schmidt" <sc...@netzmerk.com>.
+1

Arch Linux, source build. (FYI: you need to install erlang19-nox on Arch
Linux since it ships with Erlang 20 which is not supported by CouchDB.)

I updated the wiki with update info from Garren.

+ Signatures are good
+ tests pass
+ make release works
+ welcome message ok:
{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"2.1.0","features":["scheduler"],"vendor":{"name":"The
Apache Software Foundation"}}
+ Fauxton works
+ Setup works (single node)

Good work, thanks so much!

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Amazing Work Joan, thank you!

Posted by "Mad, Pink and Dangerous to Know" <pi...@mad.pink>.
Here's my CouchDB log for one my Macs:

https://gist.github.com/madpink/f259c41e789316534642c762209e3cfc

The key elements seems to be:

[error] 2017-08-02T20:15:39.322084Z couchdb@localhost <0.203.0> --------
Error starting Apache CouchDB:

{error,{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,couch_primary_services,{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,collation_driver,"dlopen(/Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/bin/../lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so,
2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/libicuuc.58.dylib\n
 Referenced from: /Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so\n
 Reason: image not found"}}}}}

[error] 2017-08-02T20:15:39.326836Z couchdb@localhost <0.206.0> --------
Supervisor couch_primary_services had child collation_driver started with
couch_drv:start_link() at undefined exit with reason
"dlopen(/Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/bin/../lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so,
2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/libicuuc.58.dylib\n
 Referenced from: /Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so\n
 Reason: image not found" in context start_error

[error] 2017-08-02T20:15:39.327620Z couchdb@localhost <0.204.0> --------
Supervisor couch_sup had child couch_primary_services started with
couch_primary_sup:start_link() at undefined exit with reason
{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,collation_driver,"dlopen(/Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/bin/../lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so,
2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/libicuuc.58.dylib\n
 Referenced from: /Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so\n
 Reason: image not found"}} in context start_error

[error] 2017-08-02T20:15:39.327984Z couchdb@localhost <0.202.0> --------
CRASH REPORT Process  (<0.202.0>) with 0 neighbors exited with reason:
{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,couch_primary_services,{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,collation_driver,"dlopen(/Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/bin/../lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so,
2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/libicuuc.58.dylib\n
 Referenced from: /Users/pink/Downloads/Apache
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/lib/couch-2.1.0-RC1/priv/couch_icu_driver.so\n
 Reason: image not found"}}}},{couch_app,start,[...]}} at
application_master:init/4(line:134) <=
proc_lib:init_p_do_apply/3(line:240); initial_call:
{application_master,init,['Argument__1','Argument__2',...]}, ancestors:
[<0.201.0>], messages: [{'EXIT',<0.203.0>,normal}], links:
[<0.201.0>,<0.7.0>], dictionary: [], trap_exit: true, status: running,
heap_size: 1598, stack_size: 27, reductions: 189

[info] 2017-08-02T20:15:39.328277Z couchdb@localhost <0.7.0> --------
Application couch exited with reason:

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ma...@jan.io>.

Posted by "Mad, Pink and Dangerous to Know" <pi...@mad.pink>.