Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/01 15:55:43 UTC

[math] 2.0 binary distro corpulence

There have been a few comments on the size of the 2.0 binary distro.
The last RC weighed in at 12mb/17mb gzip/zip.  The large size is driven
by the javadoc, the bundled site and the included javadoc jar.
Uncompressed, the breakdown is as follows

apidocs .....................32mb
site minus apidocs ....36mb
javadoc jar................4.6mb
source jar....................973k
binary jar....................759k
-----------------------------------
total ..........................75mb

As Sebb pointed out, the javadoc jar includes line-numbered linked
source files.  I have no idea what value this jar has to users in
general much less why the linked source is there.  I assume some IDEs
make use of it somehow.  Does anyone have strong feelings about the need
to include it?  If not, I propose that we drop it.

The reason to include the site is really just for the userguide.  The
html for the guide itself is only 400k with maybe 200k of required
images to support it.  As Bill pointed out, the bundled site has broken
links.  Does anyone have any clever ideas on how we can extract the
userguide by itself to bundle in the release?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Re: [math] 2.0 binary distro corpulence

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 01/08/2009, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> Phil Steitz a écrit :
>
> > There have been a few comments on the size of the 2.0 binary distro.
>  > The last RC weighed in at 12mb/17mb gzip/zip.  The large size is driven
>  > by the javadoc, the bundled site and the included javadoc jar.
>  > Uncompressed, the breakdown is as follows
>  >
>  > apidocs .....................32mb
>  > site minus apidocs ....36mb
>  > javadoc jar................4.6mb
>  > source jar....................973k
>  > binary jar....................759k
>  > -----------------------------------
>  > total ..........................75mb
>  >
>  > As Sebb pointed out, the javadoc jar includes line-numbered linked
>  > source files.  I have no idea what value this jar has to users in
>  > general much less why the linked source is there.  I assume some IDEs
>  > make use of it somehow.  Does anyone have strong feelings about the need
>  > to include it?  If not, I propose that we drop it.
>

> I think the javadoc jar is useful. It is used by IDEs for instant help
>  in the java editors. However, embedding the sources there is probably
>  not useful.
>

>  >
>  > The reason to include the site is really just for the userguide.  The
>  > html for the guide itself is only 400k with maybe 200k of required
>  > images to support it.  As Bill pointed out, the bundled site has broken
>  > links.  Does anyone have any clever ideas on how we can extract the
>  > userguide by itself to bundle in the release?
>

> The most difficult part would be to adjust the left menu. This seems to
>  be templates black magic to me ...

The 2.0 Javadoc link can be fixed by creating a file
docs/api-2.0/index.html which does a redirect, for example:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
</HTML>

A similar approach could be taken with other broken links.

Or just add a note to say that some links are broken.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Phil Steitz a écrit :
> There have been a few comments on the size of the 2.0 binary distro.
> The last RC weighed in at 12mb/17mb gzip/zip.  The large size is driven
> by the javadoc, the bundled site and the included javadoc jar.
> Uncompressed, the breakdown is as follows
>
> apidocs .....................32mb
> site minus apidocs ....36mb
> javadoc jar................4.6mb
> source jar....................973k
> binary jar....................759k
> -----------------------------------
> total ..........................75mb
>
> As Sebb pointed out, the javadoc jar includes line-numbered linked
> source files.  I have no idea what value this jar has to users in
> general much less why the linked source is there.  I assume some IDEs
> make use of it somehow.  Does anyone have strong feelings about the need
> to include it?  If not, I propose that we drop it.

I think the javadoc jar is useful. It is used by IDEs for instant help
in the java editors. However, embedding the sources there is probably
not useful.

> The reason to include the site is really just for the userguide.  The
> html for the guide itself is only 400k with maybe 200k of required
> images to support it.  As Bill pointed out, the bundled site has broken
> links.  Does anyone have any clever ideas on how we can extract the
> userguide by itself to bundle in the release?

The most difficult part would be to adjust the left menu. This seems to
be templates black magic to me ...

> Thanks in advance.

Sorry not to be able to help
Luc