Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de> on 2012/10/26 23:06:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Cleanup installation files, make them more modular

I've modified the subject as I think this topic deserves its own, new
thread.

Am 10/26/2012 07:28 PM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 05:27:41PM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
> Once thing to pay attention for the next release is the increasing size:
> more than 14 Gb for Linux packages only. This is going to be even more,
> as more languages are added. INFRA has already complained after the
> first release (can't find the message right now) about the size of our
> dist/ folder, so we must think about a solution, before they complain
> once the next release is uploaded.

IMHO you can think and try whatever you want. At the end there is only
one solution:

Cleanup the packaging, delete redundat files, rearrange how the install
files will be packed, think new how the installation on the users-side
could be done.

Example:
For every platform, we have exactly the same files in every full
install, except for the language resource files. So, when we can make it
that only the core (languages-independent) files are once on the mirrors
and then the language resource files besides, then it would be possible
to do the installation process completely new - with the following rough
steps:

1. Create a new basis installer: little, tiny and already localized.
2. The user can choose what he wants: applications, languages,
templates, extensions.
3. The basis installer downloads this file set from the mirrors.
4. It does the installation on the PC.
5. Finally AOO is ready to use.

And as goody maybe it's possible to create an install file, so that the
user can re-install his AOO version whenever he wants, without to
download everything again from the mirrors.

Marcus

Re: [DISCUSS] Cleanup installation files, make them more modular

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

>> I have some items to add:
>>
>> - The installer packages should be modulized to allow the selection of
>> parts (already done but we shouldn't forget to work on this)
>> - Localizations should be separated from the binaries (soffice.bin, libs,
>> resfiles). Maybe it's a good idea to separate language packs from the
>> installer and that localizations are not part of the base installation
>> package (this can solve parts of the INFRA issues)
>> - The installer structure should allow small updatable packages (we
>> already had this for MSI, MSP files). We should think about designing a
>> more heterogenous approach for introducing a patch based update process.
>> - Documentation might be divided into parts that link to the soffice
>> instance (via HelpIDs) and into parts that allow intermediate updates
>> without interfering with the application logic. This would allow a
>> continous development process for those who like to work on documentation
>> items.
>>
>> Just my 2 Euro Cents...
>>
>> Joost
>>

> Last week there was an user on the ES forums with a particular problem: he
> was trying to install AOO in a school on a really old machine without
> network connection (no internet, no internal net, nothing) that runs Linux
> and needed to donwload (and burn into a CD) the right AOO version on a
> Windows machine. How such theoretical installer will manage those
> situations? Yes, this particular user is a "corner case" but it is quite
> easy to think about *many* corner cases... for example:
>
> - Such installer should be multi platform, something like a java based app,
> BUT can we presume that all systems have a java virtual machine working?
> While this is usually true on Linux, it is not so true on Windows or Mac.
>
> - How such installer will integrate with package managers on Linux? This is
> a problem not only with rpm and deb, the currently supported packages, but
> also with sabayon's entropy, with pardus' PiSi system...

yes, the Linux package management is a nightmare and the only way to
work-around this is to provide packages that don't make use of it...
Joking aside, using system packages is needed to be available for
distribution applications that manage the rollout within a network (LAN,
WAN). And I belive there is already some kind of patch management on
Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD and on MacOS available that is comparable to the
MSP approach on Windows based systems. Unfortunately on Linux we have
several packaging systems (.deb, rpm, etc.) that we need to take care
of. On Linux there's another thing that needs attention that's the
desktop system integration which differs from distribution to
distribution and it's really a nightmare because some distros provide
diverse frameworks like Gnome, KDE, etc. that need their own
integration. This could be one thing that could be out-sourced into
extra packages that a Linux user can download for his/her distribution
additionally to the base installation package.

Kind regards, Joost

Re: [DISCUSS] Cleanup installation files, make them more modular

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/27 Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>

> [...]

was trying to install AOO in a school on a really old machine without
network connection (no internet, no internal net, nothing) that runs Linux
and needed to donwload (and burn into a CD) the right AOO version on a
Windows machine. How such theoretical installer will manage those
situations? Yes, this particular user is a "corner case" but it is quite
easy to think about *many* corner cases... for example:

- Such installer should be multi platform, something like a java based app,
BUT can we presume that all systems have a java virtual machine working?
While this is usually true on Linux, it is not so true on Windows or Mac.

- How such installer will integrate with package managers on Linux? This is
a problem not only with rpm and deb, the currently supported packages, but
also with sabayon's entropy, with pardus' PiSi system...

- ...

While a new packaging system is an interesting idea, we need to be *really*
careful to not left many users outside it.

Regards
Ricardo

Re: [DISCUSS] Cleanup installation files, make them more modular

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Am 26.10.2012 23:06, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> I've modified the subject as I think this topic deserves its own, new
> thread.

that is a good idea.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/27/2012 12:58 AM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:47:56AM +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> I don't see the context to bad inet connections. Maybe you can tell
>> with some other words?
>>
>> When we do the restructure then we will have less content on the
>> mirrors. But for the user there is no change as they still have to
>> download all files that are necessary to do the installation; maybe
>> less when they explicitely disables some applications and content
>> that are currently be installed by default.
>
> If I understood this approach, the tiny installer downloads all the rest
> at install time, that means you need a good internet connection at
> install time.

Not really, the installer can first download everything that is
necessary and then start the installation. It should be technically also
possible to continue a download where it stopped due to an interrupted
inet connection.

So, at the end it's up to us how to design the tiny installer.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [DISCUSS] Cleanup installation files, make them more modular

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.