Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/10/19 13:05:47 UTC

Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions: event-driven non-blocking HTTP transport

Folks,

A short update just to keep you all in the loop.

The event-driven HTTP transport I have been working in the past days is
still too flaky to be committed to SVN. It may take me another while
before I am (more or less) sure the new code in NIO extensions is ready
for the first round of reviews. However I feel the public interfaces
(API) are reasonably complete and _should_ stay stable while I am still
hacking on the implementation. There is already enough substance to see
how things are shaping up and give me some feedback. If any of you want
to take an early peek at the API please let me know and I'll check the
interfaces in.

Cheers

Oleg

Posted by Sam Berlin <sb...@gmail.com>.
> Hmmm, so whom do the dns lookups? or have you found a dns library that
> is nio as well?

That's a great question -- if you're able to find a library that does
asynchronous DNS lookups, please share it here!

Sam

Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions: event-driven non-blocking HTTP transport

Posted by Robert Olofsson <ro...@khelekore.org>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> The I/O reactor works with abstract SocketAddress-es. HttpCore makes no
> assumption whether a particular SocketAddress represents a DNS host name
> or an IP address. The process of DNS name resolution is out of HttpCore
> scope. In practical terms that does mean the I/O thread can be blocked
> while a specific DNS name is being resolved. As this problem cannot be
> solved without an external dependency, I am personally prepared to live
> with this limitation.

This is a bit tricky. It would be good to have an interface that does
the lookup asynchronous. I do something like that in my proxy to spawn a
worker thread that does the lookup. DNS timeouts can easily be 2
minutes, handling many connections with that may be acceptable for
a simple client, but can easily be very bad if you want to build a web
spider or a web proxy or ...

Sam:
I use the dnsjava package to do dns lookups in rabbit. It is a dns
library in pure java. Internally it uses some parts of nio, but the
interfaces it provides are blocking calls.
I would like to have time to fix dnsjava to provide an asynchronous
interface, but as it is now I do not have the time.

http://www.xbill.org/dnsjava/

> Absolutely. I/O operations over NHttpConnections can be executed in full duplex.

Glad to hear that.

/robo

Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions: event-driven non-blocking HTTP transport

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 20:29 +0200, Robert Olofsson wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > The API is
> > filly event driven. There is no need for worker threads at any point of
> > time. All content processing takes place at the I/O reactor thread.
>
> Hmmm, so whom do the dns lookups? or have you found a dns library that
> is nio as well?

Hi Robert,

Posted by Robert Olofsson <ro...@khelekore.org>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> The API is
> filly event driven. There is no need for worker threads at any point of
> time. All content processing takes place at the I/O reactor thread.

Hmmm, so whom do the dns lookups? or have you found a dns library that
is nio as well?

Suns version will call native code that will be very single threaded
on some systems and have long timeouts on some missing names.

The typos seems to have been fixed already..

One question: is it possible to use requestInput and requestOutput at
the same time? That is needed to handle pipelined requests in a fast
and efficent way.
 From reading the javadoc I would say that it is possible, but just want
to check.

/robo

Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions: event-driven non-blocking HTTP transport

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 13:17 +0100, ant elder wrote:
> I'd be interested in having a peek.
>
>    ...ant

All right. Here it is.

The main goal of this API is to provide a non-blocking HTTP transport
with a minimal memory footprint and without excessive content buffering,
thus avoiding 'out of memory' conditions under heavy load. The API is
filly event driven. There is no need for worker threads at any point of
time. All content processing takes place at the I/O reactor thread.

When the implementation is reasonably stable I would like to 'bolt' our
standard HttpCore protocol layer on top of this API in order to provide
a convenient and consistent HTTP service interface for those
applications that rely on RequestInterceptor / ResponseInterceptor
interfaces for protocol handling and InputStream / OutputStream
interfaces for content manipulation and can afford a worker thread per
request / response.

Comments, suggestions, critique will be highly appreciated.

Evil Comrade Oleg

==============================

Abstract non-blocking HTTP connection interface. It can be used to
request or temporarily suspend event notifications that are triggered
when the underlying channel is ready for input / output operations
------------------
public interface NHttpConnection extends HttpConnection {

    void requestInput();

    void suspendInput();

    void requestOutput();

    void suspendOutput();

    HttpContext getContext();

}

Abstract non-blocking client-side HTTP connection. It can be used to
submit HTTP requests and asynchronously receive HTTP responses
------------------

public interface NHttpClientConnection extends NHttpConnection {

    HttpResponse getHttpResponse();

    void submitRequest(HttpRequest request) throws HttpException;

    boolean isRequestSubmitted();

}

Abstract non-blocking server-side HTTP connection. It can be used to
receive HTTP requests and asynchronously submit HTTP responses.
------------------

public interface NHttpServerConnection extends NHttpConnection {

    HttpRequest getHttpRequest();

    void submitContinue() throws HttpException;

    void submitResponse(HttpResponse response) throws HttpException;

    boolean isResponseSubmitted();

}

Abstract server-side HTTP event handler
------------------

public interface NHttpServiceHandler {

    void requestReceived(NHttpServerConnection conn);

    void inputReady(NHttpServerConnection conn,
        ContentDecoder decoder);

    void outputReady(NHttpServerConnection conn,
        ContentEncoder encoder);

    void exception(NHttpServerConnection conn, IOException ex);

    void exception(NHttpServerConnection conn, HttpException ex);

    void timeout(NHttpServerConnection conn);

    void closed(NHttpServerConnection conn);

}

Abstract HTTP content decoder. HTTP content decoders can be used to read
entity content from the underlying channel in small chunks and apply the
required coding transformation.
------------------

public interface ContentDecoder {

    void read(ByteBuffer dst) throws IOException;

    boolean isCompeted();

}

Abstract HTTP content encoder. HTTP content encoders can be used to
apply the required coding transformation and write entity content to the
underlying channel in small chunks.
------------------

public interface ContentEncoder {

    void write(ByteBuffer src) throws IOException;

    void complete() throws IOException;

    boolean isCompeted();

}

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 14:20 -0400, Sam Berlin wrote:
> > I think it is pointless to expect a high level protocol handler to be
> > able to recover from runtime exceptions and IOException and
> > HttpException are the only two types of checked exceptions that can be
> > thrown. Anyways, I can live with it either way.
>
> I'm not sure if I interpreted this correctly, but the thread that
> manages the selector must be prepared to handle all kinds of
> exceptions (Throwables & RuntimeExceptions included), otherwise any
> stray error would halt all I/O processing.  I suggest having some kind
> of callback to inform the user of an arbitrary exception.  Normally I
> would be a staunch advocate for letting any exception propogate as far
> up the stack as possible, but when the entire I/O subsystem can be
> halted as a result of any error, I think it's worthwhile to disregard
> that rule and catch any error.
>
> Sam

Sam, et al

I believe the situation should be looked at from a somewhat different
angle. I still think it makes no sense to propagate runtime exceptions
from the I/O thread to individual handlers, whereas safeguards must be
in place to ensure that a stray runtime exception thrown by a protocol
handler cannot take down the whole I/O reactor by killing its thread.

Oleg

Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions: event-driven non-blocking HTTP transport

Posted by Sam Berlin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 17:48 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> just a short glimpse...
>
> ContentDecoder.isCompeted should be .isCompleted
> ContentEncoder.isCompeted should be .isCompleted

Oopsie.

> NHttpClientConnection.getHttpResponse()
> NHttpServerConnection.getHttpRequest()
> We've avoided tying the request and response directly so far.
> But it's probably not a big issue, so leave it that way.
>
> NHttpServerConnection.submitContinue()
> I don't like this at all. You are assuming that 100 continue
> is the only preliminary response that will ever be sent.
> That is true for the current HTTP specifications, but HTTP
> explicitly allows for extensions. I don't see why we should
> restrict our API in this case. Alternatives:
>
> 1. NHttpServerConnection.submitPreliminary(HttpResponse)
> 2. NHttpServerConnection.submitResponse(HttpResponse, boolean preliminary)

It just hit me. We do not a special method for 1xx responses at all. We
simply treat 1xx responses as intermediate (preliminary) ones. The
connection will remain in 'response uncommitted' state until a non 1xx
response has been committed. That is it.

> NHttpClientHandler.exception(...)
> Will the client handler get a chance to handle other kinds
> of exceptions, too? I usually prefer a generic error handling
> method, where the handler decides what to do (if anything):
>
> /** @return true if handled, false otherwise */
> boolean NHttpClientHandler.exception(conn, Throwable)

I think it is pointless to expect a high level protocol handler to be
able to recover from runtime exceptions and IOException and
HttpException are the only two types of checked exceptions that can be
thrown. Anyways, I can live with it either way.

> NHttpServerHandler.exception(...)
> See comments for client.
>
> Your JavaDocing is much improved!

Working on it ;-)

Cheers

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

[...]

Your JavaDocing is much improved! I noticed a typo in