Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2010/03/10 10:55:39 UTC

Anyone using ASF software in bio-informatics?

I've been invited to keynote at the Open bio-informatics conference in
July, wearing my ASF hat. their invite said:

Is anyone here using ASF software in this space?

Ross

Re: Anyone using ASF software in bio-informatics?

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Send the pointers here, please! It helps with my media/analyst outreach -- folks are *always* asking "where is Apache [PROJECTNAME] being used?"

Thanks,
Sally

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
My client is using a variety of Apache projects in their
bio-informatics work.  We're using Wicket, a lot of the Commons stuff
(VFS is a *big* one), Lucene, HttpClient, Subversion, Velocity, etc.
We looked into using Hadoop, but decided to go with Mallet instead.
Hadoop was a little overly-complicated for our needs.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
For starters:

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Grant,

Here here on that. Some of the same systems we use OODT on use Lucene as well, I'd be happy to provide some feedback, let me know.

Cheers,
Chris

On 3/10/10 7:18 AM, "Grant Ingersoll" <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

Lucene is used in a number of places for bio-informatics.  Hadoop as well and I've heard rumors of Mahout as well.  I can send pointers here or offline and also have some contacts if you'd like.

-Grant

On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:55 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> I've been invited to keynote at the Open bio-informatics conference in July, wearing my ASF hat. their invite said:
>
> Is anyone here using ASF software in this space?
>
> Ross

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Anyone using ASF software in bio-informatics?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Apache UIMA is used by many projects in this space.  Here are 2:

The Open Health Natural Language Processing (OHNLP) Consortium [1] says,
under "goals", "The Consortium promotes the open source UIMA framework
and SDK <http://incubator.apache.org/uima/> as the basis for biomedical
NLP systems. Applications created within UIMA consist of software
components (referred to as annotators) and their associated
configuration files and external resources. Within the framework, one
can also create complete pipelines composed of a sequence of annotators
and the data flow between them.

Another is the u-compare web-site, [2] which is an integrated text
mining/natural language processing system based on the UIMA Framework,
with annotators mainly in the Bio-informatics space

-Marshall

[1]
https://cabig-kc.nci.nih.gov/Vocab/KC/index.php/Open_Health_Natural_Language_Processing_%28OHNLP%29_Consortium

[2] http://u-compare.org/

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.somatik.be

Re: Anyone using ASF software in bio-informatics?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Ross,

Though we just started and technically aren¹t officially endorsed ASF
software, OODT has been used for 7+ years to implement a national virtual
data system for the U.S. National Cancer Institute¹s Early Detection
Research Network (EDRN), a network of 40+ institutions sharing biomarker,
study (protocol) information, raw science data and specimens amongst the
laboratories and information systems of those participating in the EDRN.

Cheers,
Chris