Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/13 21:09:10 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Create a notifications mailing list

I'd like to create notifications@myfaces.apache.org for automated
messages from Continuum.

I feel that more people are interested in watching commits than
notifications.  Particularly in the case of new contributors who may
start as users, then watch the dev list, then perhaps want to (just)
review commits.  Continuum notifications may just be noise at this
point.

Also, having separate lists gives each person control over the
incoming info.  For example, you might want to receive commits in
email, but watch the notifications on an RSS feed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Wendy

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create a notifications mailing list

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
cool

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
+1

-- Adam

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

--Manfred

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Quite a symbolic act :)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
yes,

-0

:-)

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
Good point!

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On May 15, 2007, at 8:36 AM, Grant Smith wrote:
>
> I'm +1 for the new list. For those of you who use the continuum success
> notifications as a validation that your commits didn't break anything, shame
> on you! :) You should DEFINITELY compile locally before committing your
> code, and not rely on continuum.
>

> Sure, everyone should compile before committing, but I think you are being
> unrealistic :-)  While I don't work much on myfaces, on the projects I do
> work on consistently I often have several modifications going at once and
> commit stuff related to only one of them at a time.  Having an automated
> build system is a lot more reliable to catch problems than waiting for
> people to complain on the mailing list or trying to remember to check out
> the changes into another copy of the project and build it there.

However, due to the time lag between committing and the automated build
system compiling the project, there exists the possibility that some poor
soul checks out a non-compilable version. This is not acceptable, and
usually the cause of much elevated blood pressure :)

I don't dispute the value of an automated build system as a means to provide
snapshots of the most up-to-date development. I agree, too, that we should
commit logical units of work at a time into the repository. I'm just saying
we should make certain what we commit doesn't break compilation.

thanks

--
Grant Smith

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

--
Grant Smith

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

i can't remember subscribing the committers list, but i get the mails,
i think this was done at the account creation. This is what i expect
also for the notifications list.

For current committers (if they are not reading here) it should
suffice to sent a notification about the new list to the committers
list.

Regards,
  Volker

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
Wendy,

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> People who want to see commits and notifications right next to each
> other should absolutely have that option.  And you will, just filter
> both lists into the same folder (or give them the same tag.)  And
> active developers should certainly be watching both commits and
> notifications.
You can apply the same filter to move the Continuum messages to another
folder - or even trash them.

> Howver, _how_ you watch them should be up to you -- the Atom feed on
> the official archives is a great resource, as are Nabble forums.
I do not use atom feeds to monitor any mailing-list ... so don't know if
they will be of any value for me.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create a notifications mailing list

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Wendy,
I am -0 on placing Continuum messages on a different mailing list
because I like seeing the commit message(s) followed by a Continuum
success/failure message.  The Continuum message is a nice confirmation
that the commit(s) did or did not break the build.  Email clients can be
configured to filter messages if the user prefers to not see the
Continuum message or see the message in a different folder.  The
converse can also be said, filtering commit and Continuum messages into
the same folder.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
+1