Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Felmon Davis <mo...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/15 12:41:35 UTC

capitals in German

Greets!

I'm not easy with the German system of capitalization; if I write
something without capitalizing the nouns, is there a way to run a
spell-checker or something which will do that?

I installed dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21.oxt into OpenOffice 4.1.8
and selected "Tools/Language/For all text/German" and note that
"Options/Language Settings/Language" has German as default for
documents.

however spell-check breezes through without touching the document.

(a) maybe there was an error in the way I installed the template?

(b) suppose it worked, would it flag nouns without capitals?

appreciated!

fjd

--
Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.

Re: capitals in German

Posted by Felmon Davis <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 08:54:58 -0500
> Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>     I think you have missed one very important step: the paragraph style
>> for the paragraph in which the German language is used. It contains the
>> control for which language is checked for spelling. Yours probably is
>> one of the English languages depending upon what country in which you
>> live. Change that setting to German. Also make sure the your selection
>> contains an ABC before the name of the language.
>>
>> Dan
>
> It may also be that you will need to use a more sophisticated tool
> than OpenOffice provides.  Consider checking if languagetool.org
> offer a version to handle German.

this looks promising.

ah, this seems to work!

this will allow me to persist in my lazy English-language ways and
still put out somewhat correct German-language text!

thank you!

f.

>> On 2/15/21 7:41 AM, Felmon Davis wrote:
>>> Greets!
>>>
>>> I'm not easy with the German system of capitalization; if I write
>>> something without capitalizing the nouns, is there a way to run a
>>> spell-checker or something which will do that?
>>>
>>> I installed dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21.oxt into OpenOffice 4.1.8
>>> and selected "Tools/Language/For all text/German" and note that
>>> "Options/Language Settings/Language" has German as default for documents.
>>>
>>> however spell-check breezes through without touching the document.
>>>
>>> (a) maybe there was an error in the way I installed the template?
>>>
>>> (b) suppose it worked, would it flag nouns without capitals?
>>>
>>> appreciated!
>>>
>>> fjd

Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.

Re: capitals in German

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

>     I think you have missed one very important step: the paragraph style
> for the paragraph in which the German language is used. It contains the
> control for which language is checked for spelling. Yours probably is
> one of the English languages depending upon what country in which you
> live. Change that setting to German. Also make sure the your selection
> contains an ABC before the name of the language.
>
> Dan

It may also be that you will need to use a more sophisticated tool than OpenOffice provides.  Consider checking if languagetool.org offer a version to handle German.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: capitals in German

Posted by Felmon Davis <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, Dan Lewis wrote:

> But do you have the spell checker icon activated? It is the ABC with the red
> wavy line below it. It will be enclosed in a box if you do. I always keep
> this active. So, when I installed a German dictionary and set the paragraph
> style to German, it automatically marked misspelled words in German. For
> example, I typed, mench. It first corrected that mensch then flagging that as
> misspelled. The final correction was to Mensch. (This is the Austria
> dictionary.

that's sweet but it doesn't seem to work here. I see the ABC-checkmark
in the paragraph style and it also appears on the main menu next
to "Spelling and Grammar".

however now the situation is dirty since I installed the LanguageTool
extension (as recommended by Rory) which may have changed things.

in a leisure moment I will uninstall it and look again to see if I can
do it without LanguageTool. for simplicity's sake that would be my
preference.

f.

> On 2/15/21 10:16 AM, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, Dan Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>    I think you have missed one very important step: the paragraph style
>>> for the paragraph in which the German language is used. It contains the
>>> control for which language is checked for spelling. Yours probably is one
>>> of the English languages depending upon what country in which you live.
>>> Change that setting to German. Also make sure the your selection contains
>>> an ABC before the name of the language.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>> I just took a look at the style and it says the language is German.
>>
>> next to "German (Germany)" I see a teeny 'ABC' with a check mark under it.
>>
>> so far then so good.
>>
>> f.

Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.

Re: capitals in German

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: capitals in German

Posted by Felmon Davis <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, Dan Lewis wrote:

>    I think you have missed one very important step: the paragraph style for
> the paragraph in which the German language is used. It contains the control
> for which language is checked for spelling. Yours probably is one of the
> English languages depending upon what country in which you live. Change that
> setting to German. Also make sure the your selection contains an ABC before
> the name of the language.
>
> Dan

I just took a look at the style and it says the language is German.

next to "German (Germany)" I see a teeny 'ABC' with a check mark under
it.

so far then so good.

f.

> On 2/15/21 7:41 AM, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> Greets!
>>
>> I'm not easy with the German system of capitalization; if I write something
>> without capitalizing the nouns, is there a way to run a spell-checker or
>> something which will do that?
>>
>> I installed dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21.oxt into OpenOffice 4.1.8 and
>> selected "Tools/Language/For all text/German" and note that
>> "Options/Language Settings/Language" has German as default for documents.
>>
>> however spell-check breezes through without touching the document.
>>
>> (a) maybe there was an error in the way I installed the template?
>>
>> (b) suppose it worked, would it flag nouns without capitals?
>>
>> appreciated!
>>
>> fjd

Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.