Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Steinmaurer, Thomas" <th...@dynatrace.com> on 2018/09/06 05:45:46 UTC

nodetool cleanup - compaction remaining time

Hello,

is it a known issue / limitation that cleanup compactions aren't counted in the compaction remaining time?

nodetool compactionstats -H

pending tasks: 1
   compaction type   keyspace           table   completed     total    unit   progress
           Cleanup        XXX             YYY   908.16 GB   1.13 TB   bytes     78.63%
Active compaction remaining time :   0h00m00s

This is with 2.1.18.

Thanks,
Thomas

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz, Austria, Freist?dterstra?e 313

RE: nodetool cleanup - compaction remaining time

Posted by "Steinmaurer, Thomas" <th...@dynatrace.com>.
I have created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14701

Please adapt as needed. Thanks!

Thomas

Probably worth a JIRA (especially if you can repro in 3.0 or higher, since 2.1 is critical fixes only)

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 10:46 PM Steinmaurer, Thomas <th...@dynatrace.com>> wrote:
Hello,

is it a known issue / limitation that cleanup compactions aren’t counted in the compaction remaining time?

nodetool compactionstats -H

pending tasks: 1
   compaction type   keyspace           table   completed     total    unit   progress
           Cleanup        XXX             YYY   908.16 GB   1.13 TB   bytes     78.63%
Active compaction remaining time :   0h00m00s

This is with 2.1.18.

Thanks,
Thomas

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz, Austria, Freistädterstraße 313

Posted by "Steinmaurer, Thomas" <th...@dynatrace.com>.
Alain,

compaction throughput is set to 32.

Regards,
Thomas

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.

> As far as I can remember, if you have unthrottled compaction, then the
> message is different: it says "n/a".

Ah right!

I am now completely convinced this needs a JIRA as well (indeed, if it's
not fixed in C*3+, as Jeff mentioned).
Thanks for the feedback Alex.

Posted by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de>.

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thomas.

Be aware that this behavior happens when the compaction throughput is set
to *0 *(unthrottled/unlimited). I believe the estimate uses the speed limit
for calculation (which is often very much wrong anyway).

I just meant to say, you might want to make sure that it's due to cleanup
type of compaction indeed and not due to some changes you could have made
in the compaction throughput threshold.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - alain@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain