Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Edilmar Alves <ed...@intersite.com.br> on 2000/12/20 14:20:03 UTC

Doubts into migration from JServ 1.1.2 to Tomcat 3.2.1

Hi,

I have many servlets made with NT4 + MySQL 3.23 +
JBuilder 3 Enterprise + Apache 1.3.9 + JServ 1.1.2.

Then, I would like to migrate from JServ 1.1.2 to
Tomcat 3.2.1. However, I have had many problems and
doubts to do this migration:

1) Apache httpd.conf
   I changed last line:
   # Include JServ/conf/jserv.conf
   Include jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/conf/tomcat.conf
   I think this is ok.

1) JServ jserv.conf
   I first understood tomcat.conf would be the
   file to config.
   At this file, I put many lines like this:
   ApJServMount /multilet /multis
   where /multilet would be a context.
   However, I discovered the file server.xml
   that defines contexts, and I did this at
   this file:
   <Context path="/multilet"
            docBase="d:/.../sistemas/"
            crossContext="false"
            debug="0"
            reloadable="true" >
   </Context>
   After this, I got to point browser to:
   http://localhost/multilet/
   What's the tomcat.conf utility ?

2) JServ jserv.properties
   I first understood tomcat.properties would be
   the file to config.
   At this file, I put many lines like this:
   wrapper.classpath=@JSERV_CLASSES@
   #wrapper.classpath=d:\internet\apache\JServ\ApacheJServ.jar
   wrapper.classpath=@JSDK_CLASSES@
   #wrapper.classpath=d:\lp\jbuilder3\lib\jsdk.jar
   wrapper.classpath=d:\lp\jbuilder3\lib\javamail\mail.jar
   wrapper.classpath=d:\lp\jbuilder3\lib\jaf\activation.jar
   wrapper.classpath=d:\lp\jbuilder3\lib\mysql_2_uncomp.jar
   ... # some lines below
   zones=root,multis
   root.properties=@JSERV_CONF@/zone.properties
   multis.properties=d:\...\multis\multis.properties
   What about @JSERV_CLASSES@ ? Is this equal path to ApacheJServ.jar ?
   What about @JSDK_CLASSES@ ? Is this equal path to jsdk.jar ?
   Is this the right place to put wrapper.classpath ?
   Is this right to create multis.properties file like JServ ?
   What's the tomcat.properties utility ?

3) JServ specific servlet file multis.properties
   No equivalent file into Tomcat for this one... until this moment!
   repositories=d:\...\sistemas\Consulta.jar
   repositories=d:\...\sistemas\Senha.jar
   ... # some lines below
   servlet.Consulta.ServletResConsulta.initArgs=DIRPS=d:/.../sistemas
   Does not Tomcat support JAR files ? Only WAR ? I think JBuilder 3
   can't generate this kind of file.
   What about "initArgs" configuration ? Where to do this ?

PS: I got to run the sample servlet application like HelloWorld from
    Tomcat documentation. But I didn't for my servlets.

Suggestion: To make a step-by-step migration from
            JServ to Tomcat.

Is there some migration doc JServ=>Tomcat ???

Re: wrapper.classpath

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ja...@syntegra.com>.
Neither,

You'd set this up in your startup scripts (.sh if you are on linux and .bat
on windows) or in your wrapper.properties file if you are running
jk_nt_service.exe to run tomcat as an NT service.

Jake

wrapper.classpath

Re: Comparing config files JServ=>Tomcat

Posted by Andy <ac...@yahoo.com>.
Edilmar Alves wrote:

> JServ jserv.conf = Tomcat tomcat.conf ? or server.xml ?
> JServ jserv.properties = Tomcat tomcat.properties ? or server.xml ?
> JServ someservlet.properties = Tomcat what file ?

Well you can continue to use jserv.conf or you can switch to the new
mod_jk.  Read the online documentation for a more appropriate discussion
of the pros/cons.  (jakarta.tomcat.com).  I would supposed
jserv.properties would be most close to server.xml but there is no 1 for
1.  Again this is pretty nicely documented.  As you can also look at the
example webapp taht comes with it and how its set up.  You'd mostly put
classpath stuff inside your webapp's lib directory and global classpath
stuff in either the classpath or in tomcat/lib   (or symbolic links
...oh sorry not on windows)...  someservlet.properties is most closely
related to webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml.  Again this is well documented and
the examples webapp comes with a decent one.

-Andy

Comparing config files JServ=>Tomcat

Posted by Edilmar Alves <ed...@intersite.com.br>.

Re: Servlet defined properties - JARxWAR, initArgs

Posted by Andy <ac...@yahoo.com>.
Edilmar Alves wrote:

> At JServ, I should create a file someservlet.properties for specific
> configurations, like these:
>    repositories=d:\...\sistemas\Consulta.jar
>    repositories=d:\...\sistemas\Senha.jar
>    ... # some lines below
>    servlet.Consulta.ServletResConsulta.initArgs=DIRPS=d:/.../sistemas
>
> Can I specify JAR files into Tomcat ? Or does I need to use WAR files ?
> What's the utility to generate WAR files (zip, tar, ...) ?

You can use jar files.  WAR files are only for entire web application (aka
all html,jsp,etc, the entire directory).  Fortunately War is basically a
JAR renamed to .war.    use jar, rename to war.

You can even use both.  (a war which contains a jar).

Your jar files should be in myapp/WEB-INF/lib.  You can put them in
tomcat/lib
but then you'll be able to access them from ANY webapp.

> I need to specify the "initArgs" param DIRPS. Where do I do this ?

This is more complex.  Tomcat no longer pays any attention to the initArgs
files, you must use the xml file in your myapp/WEB-INF/lib (see the
examples for the format, there is a DTD as well in tomcat/conf).  Within
the servlet tag use
<init-param> <param-name>DIRPS</param-name><param-value>MYDIRPSVALUE</param-value></init-param>

You must have one init-param for every param-name/value pair!  Not a
block!

To specify a webapp BTW see server.xml in tomcat/conf.  Looking at the
examples
app should be sufficient to get you started.

-Andy

Servlet defined properties - JARxWAR, initArgs