Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mfs <fa...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/28 00:13:10 UTC

Tomcat Clustering Support - Without any load balancer like component in the front

Guys,

Pretty basic question, given this is my time experience on clustering where
i am trying to use tomcat 6 clustering support.
So basically i wanted to know if enabling the tomcat 6 clustering would be
of any use without having a load-balancer in the front (something like
mod_jk) ? well my understanding so far is that we have to have some
component in the front (which tomcat i assume doesn't provide...right ?) for
either load-balancing or fail-over scenarios...

Thanks in advance and REgards,

Farhan.

Re: Tomcat Clustering Support - Without any load balancer like component in the front

Posted by Gary Evesson <ge...@gmail.com>.
mod_jk handles failover for you.

Clustering tomcat makes it copy sessions to all members of the clusters so
that any member of the cluster can take over the processing of a request
seamlessly from any other. If you requests have no way of getting to the
other members of the cluster, then there is not much point in clustering.

You can use something like pen or a dedicated load balancer to handle
failover (and load balancing if you like) if you do not want to set up
apache.

On Nov 27, 2007 5:01 PM, mfs <fa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply Gary..
>
> Some follow-up questions.
>
> 1) So the http server bundled with tomcat doesn't do any help ? like it
> doesnt provide any load-balancing implementation ? like e.g. mod-jk which
> has to be used in conjunction with apache...Further I presume mod-jk also
> handles the fail-over scenarios..
>
> 2) When u say "there is no huge amount of point", i wonder if there is any
> point AT ALL having that tomcat clustering enabled if we dont have
> something
> like a load-balancer/fail-over-service at the front?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Farhan.
>

> Gary Evesson-3 wrote:
> >
> > You need something to handle failover. Otherwise there is not a huge
> > amount
> > of point. Either a load balancer or mod-jk will do the job.
> >
> > On Nov 27, 2007 4:13 PM, mfs <fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> Pretty basic question, given this is my time experience on clustering
> >> where
> >> i am trying to use tomcat 6 clustering support.
> >> So basically i wanted to know if enabling the tomcat 6 clustering would
> >> be
> >> of any use without having a load-balancer in the front (something like
> >> mod_jk) ? well my understanding so far is that we have to have some
> >> component in the front (which tomcat i assume doesn't provide...right
> ?)
> >> for
> >> either load-balancing or fail-over scenarios...
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance and REgards,
> >>
> >> Farhan.
> >>

> >> --

> > --
> > Gary Evesson

Gary Evesson

Re: Tomcat Clustering Support - Without any load balancer like component in the front

Posted by mfs <fa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Evesson <ge...@gmail.com>.
You need something to handle failover. Otherwise there is not a huge amount
of point. Either a load balancer or mod-jk will do the job.

On Nov 27, 2007 4:13 PM, mfs <fa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Pretty basic question, given this is my time experience on clustering
> where
> i am trying to use tomcat 6 clustering support.
> So basically i wanted to know if enabling the tomcat 6 clustering would be
> of any use without having a load-balancer in the front (something like
> mod_jk) ? well my understanding so far is that we have to have some
> component in the front (which tomcat i assume doesn't provide...right ?)
> for
> either load-balancing or fail-over scenarios...
>
> Thanks in advance and REgards,
>
> Farhan.

Gary Evesson