Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/05 08:04:19 UTC

[SCA 2.0] A milestone release based on the 2.0 code base

We have been making good progress on the 2.0 code base, and I was
wondering if we could start thinking on getting a milestone release
out. I was thinking on releasing the core modules we have been working
on, maybe add a minimal set of bindings and some iTests. As for a time
frame, I'd suggest end of year, but due to coming holidays, it looks
like early January seems more reasonable.

Thoughts ?

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

Re: [SCA 2.0] A milestone release based on the 2.0 code base

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1 to have a milestone release for 2.0 (such as 2.0M1) in January. I
> > envision the following features to be supported:
> >
> > 1) OSGi-enabled core
> > 2) implementation.java
> > 3) binding.ws
> > 4) A simple/consitent SCA domain story
> > 5) samples and itests working with both JSE and Equinox
>
> Sounds good, we might need to expand the binding list if we want to
> have domain administration UI, but otherwise the list seems reasonable
> and doable.
>
> BTW, I'd like to volunteer for the Release Manager position.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Raymond

Sounds good to me. I'd like us to be a bit more organized/open about what we
think should be in future releases. I've revamped the roadmap page [1] to
include both 1.x and 2.x releases and put in a two release horizon. Comments
welcome (or even better just go in and fix it).

I'm not convinced we need to go all the way and have the domain gui running
in 2.0-M1 but we may need some other bindings. Let's be a bit more precise
about what scenarios we want to support.

Simon

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Java+SCA+Roadmap

Re: [SCA 2.0] A milestone release based on the 2.0 code base

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
>From past experience, broad discussions might get us to
meta-discussions. I'd prefer to define incremental scenarios and
making them supported in incremental milestones, where scope would
increase gradativelly giving us an opportunity to solidifying the
domain story in a broad perspective.  I anticipate at least couple
milestones to get all the domain scenarios supported.

Well, but this is just what I had in mind... and might not be what
others are thinking... so I'm open to discussions and it would be
great to start identifying scenarios so that everybody be on the same
page and to help us have a feeling about the amount of work that will
be required.

Thoughts ?

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1 to take webapp into consideration when we define the SCA domain/node story. I view the milestone releases as stations for a moving train and the features only go on board when they are ready. We should try to avoid rushing to bring up something based on the fragile foundation before getting the story straight.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.