Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Bud Bach <ww...@ameritech.net> on 2005/02/14 18:59:36 UTC

POP3 Server Access

I know this is probably something stupid but here goes.  I have James
running and the POP3 server is configured (see below).

On the local host, I can telnet to port 110 and I get the James POP3 banner.
>From any other machine, I can't connect.  No firewalls in the way.  What am
I missing?  Is there an "allow" list I need to add to allow remote access?

Thanks for any assistance.  - Bud

config.xml:

    <!-- The POP3 server is enabled by default -->

    <!-- Disabling blocks will stop them from listening, -->

    <!-- but does not free as many resources as removing them would -->

   <pop3server enabled="true">

      <!-- port 995 is the well-known/IANA registered port for POP3S  ie
over SSL/TLS -->

      <!-- port 110 is the well-known/IANA registered port for Standard POP3
-->

      <port>110</port>

      <!-- Uncomment this if you want to bind to a specific inetaddress -->

      <!--

      <bind> </bind>

      -->

      <!--  Uncomment this if you want to use TLS (SSL) on this port -->

      <!--

      <useTLS>true</useTLS>

      -->

      <handler>

         <!-- This is the name used by the server to identify itself in the
POP3 -->

         <!-- protocol.  If autodetect is TRUE, the server will discover its
-->

         <!-- own host name and use that in the protocol.  If discovery
fails, -->

         <!-- the value of 'localhost' is used.  If autodetect is FALSE,
James -->

         <!-- will use the specified value. -->

         <helloName autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>

         <connectiontimeout>120000</connectiontimeout>

      </handler>

   </pop3server>