Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dustin Chesterman <dc...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/10 01:18:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Module specific logging not working

Hello all -
  I am having trouble getting logging to work for some modules,
specifically mod_rewrite and mod_jk.  Here is a portion of my
httpd.conf.  I get mod_jk logging for the startup process in my
mod_jk.log but not the request level logging.  But the forwarding is
working.  The rewrite.log has nothing in it ever.  I thought it could
be a problem with how i set up the modules butsince it's happening to
two I thought I must have something wrong globally.  Any suggestions
on why this might be happening.  My access.log is populating as
expected.

<IfModule jk_module>
    # We need a workers file exactly once and in the global server
    JkWorkersFile conf/workers.properties
    JkMountFile conf/uriworkermap.properties
    JkMountCopy All
    JkLogFile logs/mod_jk.log
    # (trace,debug,info,warn,error)
    JkLogLevel debug
</IfModule>

ErrorLog "logs/error.log"

LogLevel debug

<IfModule log_config_module>
    CustomLog "logs/access.log" common
</IfModule>

# Logs for rewrite module
RewriteLog "logs/rewrite.log"
RewriteLogLevel 9

\NameVirtualHost *:8080
NameVirtualHost *:8443
#
# NOTE: NameVirtualHost cannot be used without a port specifier
# (e.g. :80) if mod_ssl is being used, due to the nature of the
# SSL protocol.
#

#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
# server name.
#

<VirtualHost *:8080>
    ServerName 127.0.0.1
    ServerAlias localhost
    DocumentRoot "C:\Deploy\Accounts"

    JkMountCopy Off
    JkMount /* cmdevworker
    # Any way to make these case-insensitive????
    JkUnMount /accounts|/* cmdevworker
    JkUnMount /Accounts|/* cmdevworker
    JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:8443>
    ServerName 127.0.0.1
    ServerAlias localhost
    DocumentRoot "C:\Certain\Deploy\Accounts"

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond ${SCRIPT_NAME} !^/accounts/(.*) [NC]
    RewriteRule (.*) /CF9R123/Register123$1

    JkMountCopy Off
    JkMount /* cmdevworker
    JkUnMount /Accounts|/* cmdevworker
    JkUnMount /accounts|/* cmdevworker
    JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
</VirtualHost>

Thanks all
  -Dustin

Re: [users@httpd] Module specific logging not working

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 10.12.2010 01:18, Dustin Chesterman wrote:
> Hello all -
>    I am having trouble getting logging to work for some modules,
> specifically mod_rewrite and mod_jk.  Here is a portion of my
> httpd.conf.  I get mod_jk logging for the startup process in my
> mod_jk.log but not the request level logging.  But the forwarding is
> working.  The rewrite.log has nothing in it ever.  I thought it could
> be a problem with how i set up the modules butsince it's happening to
> two I thought I must have something wrong globally.  Any suggestions
> on why this might be happening.  My access.log is populating as
> expected.
>

> <IfModule jk_module>
>      # We need a workers file exactly once and in the global server
>      JkWorkersFile conf/workers.properties
>      JkMountFile conf/uriworkermap.properties
>      JkMountCopy All
>      JkLogFile logs/mod_jk.log
>      # (trace,debug,info,warn,error)
>      JkLogLevel debug
> </IfModule>
>
> ErrorLog "logs/error.log"
>
> LogLevel debug
>
> <IfModule log_config_module>
>      LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" common
>      CustomLog "logs/access.log" common
> </IfModule>
>

> # Logs for rewrite module
> RewriteLog "logs/rewrite.log"
> RewriteLogLevel 9
>

> \NameVirtualHost *:8080
> NameVirtualHost *:8443
> #
> # NOTE: NameVirtualHost cannot be used without a port specifier
> # (e.g. :80) if mod_ssl is being used, due to the nature of the
> # SSL protocol.
> #
>
> #
> # VirtualHost example:
> # Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
> # The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
> # server name.
> #
>
> <VirtualHost *:8080>
>      ServerName 127.0.0.1
>      ServerAlias localhost
>      DocumentRoot "C:\Deploy\Accounts"
>
>      JkMountCopy Off
>      JkMount /* cmdevworker
>      # Any way to make these case-insensitive????
>      JkUnMount /accounts|/* cmdevworker
>      JkUnMount /Accounts|/* cmdevworker
>      JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:8443>
>      ServerName 127.0.0.1
>      ServerAlias localhost
>      DocumentRoot "C:\Certain\Deploy\Accounts"
>
>      RewriteEngine On
>      RewriteCond ${SCRIPT_NAME} !^/accounts/(.*) [NC]
>      RewriteRule (.*) /CF9R123/Register123$1
>
>      JkMountCopy Off
>      JkMount /* cmdevworker
>      JkUnMount /Accounts|/* cmdevworker
>      JkUnMount /accounts|/* cmdevworker
>      JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
> </VirtualHost>

RewriteLog and the mod_jk log file do not have much in common in terms
of implementation.

Concerning mod_rewrite: the docs tell us:

By default, mod_rewrite configuration settings from the main server
context are not inherited by virtual hosts. To make the main server
settings apply to virtual hosts, you must place the following directives
in each <VirtualHost> section:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteOptions Inherit

This is especially true for the RewriteLogLevel. Th default log level is
0, which doesn't log anything and is still active in all your VHosts.

Concerning mod_jk: since you hav JkLogLevel debug, you should see *lots*
of log lines for each request and also during startup of the web server.
Do you see those types of messages? Is it only the additional one line
per request "JkRequestLogFormat" you are missing?

If so I would expect that you actually are handling the requests by some
other VHost which does not include the "JkRequestLogFormat" item. Try
setting it into the global server. It should get inherited by each VHost.

Regards,

Rainer