Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com> on 2016/05/20 06:05:28 UTC

Update on development for 1.5

Hello all,

I got a few things in for 1.5. The changelog reads:

* Change: Update RJB to 1.5.4
* Change: Update rubyzip to 1.2.0
* Change: Update hoe to 3.15.0
* Change: Update net-ssh to 3.1.1
* Change: Update json_pure to 1.8.3
* Change: Update diff-lcs to 1.2.5
* Change: Update xml-simple to 1.1.5
* Change: Update jekyll to 3.1.3
* Change: Update rdoc to 4.2.2
* Added:  Travis badge to README.rdoc
* Added:  BUILDR-577 Allow remote repo to be added with http basic auth support. Submitted by Michael Guymon.
* Fixed:  BUILDR-207 remove 'Skipping tests' messages
* Added:  BUILDR-703 release: allow THIS_VERSION to be defined in another file
* Fixed:  BUILDR-674 Artifacts with bundle extension cannot be downloaded by Buildr

Additionally, I have started reviewing the issues in jira and as best I could tried to perform some triage. Some issues are old and don’t apply so much and I’ve started closing them. If needed we can reopen issues if they should be looked at again.

I’m still working on the update to Java 8. I have done some of the work to move to Scala 2.11.8. It’s not been easy so far, with a lot of changes in the specs, specs2, scalatest libraries.
Unfortunately, it would be hard to support both 2.11 and the older versions. Is it OK to only support 2.11 and leave older versions with 1.4.25?

I have other things slowly brewing but I’d really like to knock off the old issues and update to Java 8 before anything else happens.

Cheers,

Antoine

Re: Update on development for 1.5

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
No, there are quite a few places in the code mentioning 1.5.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, this is great!  Looking forward to 1.5.

Agreed - fantastic work Antoine.

I am currently on a death march project so won't be able to help out
merging custom_pom addon back into core. But I love the work that is
being done.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Update on development for 1.5

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
Yeah, I’m thinking of generalizing this Spec2Runner and ZincRunner classes into a library that enables Java to run Scala main objects.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
OK,

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
Cool, thanks!

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Update on development for 1.5

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com> wrote:
> I got a few things in for 1.5. The changelog reads:

Excellent work.

> Additionally, I have started reviewing the issues in jira and as best I could tried to perform some triage. Some issues are old and don’t apply so much and I’ve started closing them. If needed we can reopen issues if they should be looked at again.

Sounds good.

> I have other things slowly brewing but I’d really like to knock off the old issues and update to Java 8 before anything else happens.

The one thing I would like to see and are willing to do the work for
is moving 'buildr/custom_pom' addon back into the core. I would
ideally like to be generating useful poms with correctly defined poms
for consumption in other build systems. Besides adding a truckload of
tests the only other thing that I think would be useful to add is the
ability to specify "provided" scoped dependencies. I am not really
sure about how to go about this.

I had thought of adding something like

compile.provides << :mydependency

This would be equivalent to

project.compile.with :mydependency
project.pom.provided_dependencies << :mydependency

We may also need to change the way we output dependencies from

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.biz</groupId>
    <artifactId>app</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
</dependency>

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.biz</groupId>
    <artifactId>app</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <exclusions>
        <exclusion>
            <groupId>*</groupId>
            <artifactId>*</artifactId>
        </exclusion>
    </exclusions>
</dependency>

As Maven assumes transitive dependencies and buildr assumes no
transitive dependencies.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,