Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Charles Brooking <pu...@charlie.brooking.id.au> on 2008/11/14 01:53:18 UTC

Recommended Jackrabbit (and JCR) version

Hi all

After reading the JSR-170 spec and doing some initial development with
Jackrabbit 1.4, I decided to look at JSR-283. I note that it contains
major changes including an entirely new query model and a standard
interface for authorisation.

I was surprised and quite disappointed to see XPath deprecated, because I
regarded use of the "document view" throughout the spec as its most
elegant feature. I'm not meaning to start another argument on this list -
I see there are already a few in the archives - but I just wanted to add
my voice to those in support of XPath. I recall there was a comment made
that Jackrabbit will continue to support XPath and that its support may in
fact become more powerful by being built on top of the JQOM. Is this true?

On the subject of authorisation, I wonder whether I should use 1.4 - and
use my own properties and AccessManager for access control - or jump to
version 1.5 (or higher). How stable is 1.5, and what version would people
recommend for a project that will probably be "live" by the end of this
year?

Thanks for any input.

Later
Charlie

Re: Recommended Jackrabbit (and JCR) version

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi Charles,

Charles Brooking wrote:
> I recall there was a comment made
> that Jackrabbit will continue to support XPath and that its support may in
> fact become more powerful by being built on top of the JQOM. Is this true?

jackrabbit will continue to support XPath as a query language and we will
selectively add features when there is a need for it.

here's what I wrote some time ago regarding JSR 283 query features in
jackrabbit: http://markmail.org/message/t6z57lr7ze63f3s5

(you might have to copy it into a text editor with a fixed size font to see it
properly)

XPath is currently still translated into an AQT, but as you can see we plan to
translate it into a JQOM in the future.

regards
 marcel