Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ralf Zahn <Ra...@ARS.de> on 2013/06/26 14:30:57 UTC

Difference between version of 3.7 and [3.7]?

Hi,

I want to declare a dependency with a fixed version number, and I got a
question.

What is the difference between
<version>3.7</version>
and
<version>[3.7]</version>
when declaring a dependency to e.g. JUnit?

I have read, that the first definition is just a recommendation (see
http://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-rules/versionRanges.html), but
the runtime can interpret it as a minimum version. I tried this and got an
error from the runtime when the version cannot be resolved. So this would
mean that both options will do the same?

Thanks,
Ralf Zahn

ARS Computer und Consulting GmbH, http://www.ars.de
Ridlerstrasse 55, 80339 Muenchen, Deutschland

Application Development Services, Business Transformation Services, IT
Infrastruktur Services
Beratung und Vertrieb zu IBM Software, System x, POWER Systems, Storage
License Management Services, IBM Passport Advantage Lizenzierung

Handelsregister Muenchen, HRB 101829, USt-ID: DE 155 068 909
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Michael Arbesmeier, Kai-Uwe Rommel, Roland Schock,
Joachim Gucker