Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com> on 2004/07/13 23:14:45 UTC

lucene philosophy

Hi:

    I am trying to store certain types of document fields in my own
format by intercepting the indexing process. One the same line as the
previous discussions on final modifiers on classes, it would be nice
to be able to extend the FieldWriter, DocumentWriter etc. classes.

     Otis suggested writing a forward index some time ago. But that
would lead to management of 2 indexes containing the same set of
documents. Furthermore, there would be more headaches in keeping the
docIds in sync etc. (have a feeling docIds seem to be an entity not to
be used/abused outside of the index)

    Is the Lucene philosophy discouraging this? Is it against best
practices in creating your own index format using Lucene classes?

Thanks

-John