Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jon Foster <jo...@jfpossibilities.com> on 2009/02/03 03:23:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2.11 mostly not serving files

I've run into a strange situation. I've been running Apache 2.0.59 with
mod_ssl and PHP 4.4.7 built from source on a SuSE 9.0 box. I recently
attempted upgrading to APR 1.3.3, apr-util 1.3.4, Apache 2.2.11 and PHP
4.4.9. What happened has left me at a loss as to what to look at to fix
it! All of the dynamically generated content and the content served by
mod_ssl is ok. However files off of the file system much larger than 250
bytes never make it to the client side. This is primarily images but it
happens with any static file that is larger than ~250 bytes, unless its
served over HTTPS.

I haven't done exhaustive testing by looking at the supplied '/icons/'
folder all images around 250 bytes and smaller are transferred to the
client and everything else including the README and README.html files won't.

The access logs show the request and the correct file size but usually
firefox just shows a blank file. Wget returns a "no content" error.

Rolling back to Apache 2.0.59 has fixed everything.

THX - Jon

--
Jon Foster
JF Possibilities, Inc.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.11 mostly not serving files

Posted by Jon Foster <jo...@jfpossibilities.com>.
Eric Covener wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Jon Foster
> <jo...@jfpossibilities.com> wrote:
>
>> Eric Covener wrote:

>>> Tried EnableSendfile off / EnableMMAP off?
>>>

>> Turning off EnableSendfile fixed the problem. Since it worked enabled in
>> 2.0.59 I guess something has made it incompatible with my kernel and /
>> or libc. I'm running the stock SuSE 9.0 kernel (2.4.21) and libc (2.3.2).
>>

> can you figure out the two APR versions (as opposed to httpd) involved
> and confirm no difference in SLES between the two Apache versions?

I was using APR 0.9.13 with HTTPD 2.0.59 and APR 1.3.3 with HTTPD
2.2.11. I also tried running the Apache 2.2.11 in my development
environment and was unable to duplicate the problem. The development
environment is running SuSE 9.0 as well, which I keep around to support
these older servers. The APR and HTTPD builds were identical as I always
build RPMs and install them. So I built the RPMs on the development box,
tested then deployed to the server where files weren't getting served.
The only major difference between the two systems that I can put my
finger on is that my development system is running a 2.6.15 kernel.

THX - Jon

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.11 mostly not serving files

Posted by Jon Foster <jo...@jfpossibilities.com>.
Eric Covener wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Jon Foster
> <jo...@jfpossibilities.com> wrote:
>
>> [...] I recently
>> attempted upgrading to APR 1.3.3, apr-util 1.3.4, Apache 2.2.11 and PHP
>> 4.4.9. What happened has left me at a loss as to what to look at to fix
>> it! All of the dynamically generated content and the content served by
>> mod_ssl is ok. However files off of the file system much larger than 250
>> bytes never make it to the client side. This is primarily images but it
>> happens with any static file that is larger than ~250 bytes, unless its
>> served over HTTPS.
>>
>> [...]
> Tried EnableSendfile off / EnableMMAP off?

Turning off EnableSendfile fixed the problem. Since it worked enabled in
2.0.59 I guess something has made it incompatible with my kernel and /
or libc. I'm running the stock SuSE 9.0 kernel (2.4.21) and libc (2.3.2).

Thanks so much for the help!
-Jon

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.