Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2010/09/01 02:24:16 UTC

Re: MySQL DB creation with demo data

On Aug 31, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Michał Cukierman wrote:

> I have two environments:
> 2 x 3Ghz + 4GB RAM - server - takes a couple of minutes to load the
> initial data.
> 2 x 2.8Ghz + 8GB RAM - laptop - it takes about 40 minutes to load the
> data.
>
> Don't have the solution but I have noticed that on machines with slow
> disks the performance while creating indices, constraints and tables is
> poor.

Are both machines running the same software, ie same database, JVM, and app server? How about the same operating system? I've seen this kind of difference a lot when comparing Linux/OSX/etc to Windows. Windows uses blocking synchronous IO and is REALLY slow compared to the asynchronous IO of more server-worthy operating systems.

-David

Re: MySQL DB creation with demo data

Posted by varun bhansaly <vb...@gmail.com>.
Db creation takes 10 mins now (acceptable than 2 hours). It was due to the
new h/w we had migrated to.
Thanks for all the responses.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:44 AM, varun bhansaly <vb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another piece of stat - Suppose db is created, when ofbiz is booting, it
> takes it around a minute to gather db information, thats in collecting meta
> data.
>

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:38 AM, varun bhansaly <vb...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have tried on Win 7, 64bit with 4 gigs ram, MySQL v5.1.50 community
>> server, utf8 encoding default, it takes 3.38 mins with demo data.

>>> Are both machines running the same software, ie same database, JVM, and
>>> app server? How about the same operating system? I've seen this kind of
>>> difference a lot when comparing Linux/OSX/etc to Windows. Windows uses
>>> blocking synchronous IO and is REALLY slow compared to the asynchronous IO
>>> of more server-worthy operating systems.
>>>
>>> -David
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Varun Bhansaly
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Varun Bhansaly

Varun Bhansaly

Re: MySQL DB creation with demo data

Posted by varun bhansaly <vb...@gmail.com>.
Another piece of stat - Suppose db is created, when ofbiz is booting, it
takes it around a minute to gather db information, thats in collecting meta
data.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:38 AM, varun bhansaly <vb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have tried on Win 7, 64bit with 4 gigs ram, MySQL v5.1.50 community
> server, utf8 encoding default, it takes 3.38 mins with demo data.
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:54 AM, David E Jones <de...@me.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 31, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Michał Cukierman wrote:
>>
>> > I have two environments:
>> > 2 x 3Ghz + 4GB RAM - server - takes a couple of minutes to load the
>> > initial data.
>> > 2 x 2.8Ghz + 8GB RAM - laptop - it takes about 40 minutes to load the
>> > data.
>> >
>> > Don't have the solution but I have noticed that on machines with slow
>> > disks the performance while creating indices, constraints and tables is
>> > poor.
>>
>> Are both machines running the same software, ie same database, JVM, and
>> app server? How about the same operating system? I've seen this kind of
>> difference a lot when comparing Linux/OSX/etc to Windows. Windows uses
>> blocking synchronous IO and is REALLY slow compared to the asynchronous IO
>> of more server-worthy operating systems.
>>
>> -David
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Varun Bhansaly

Varun Bhansaly

Re: MySQL DB creation with demo data

Posted by varun bhansaly <vb...@gmail.com>.
I have tried on Win 7, 64bit with 4 gigs ram, MySQL v5.1.50 community
server, utf8 encoding default, it takes 3.38 mins with demo data.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:54 AM, David E Jones <de...@me.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Michał Cukierman wrote:
>
> > I have two environments:
> > 2 x 3Ghz + 4GB RAM - server - takes a couple of minutes to load the
> > initial data.
> > 2 x 2.8Ghz + 8GB RAM - laptop - it takes about 40 minutes to load the
> > data.
> >
> > Don't have the solution but I have noticed that on machines with slow
> > disks the performance while creating indices, constraints and tables is
> > poor.
>
> Are both machines running the same software, ie same database, JVM, and app
> server? How about the same operating system? I've seen this kind of
> difference a lot when comparing Linux/OSX/etc to Windows. Windows uses
> blocking synchronous IO and is REALLY slow compared to the asynchronous IO
> of more server-worthy operating systems.
>
> -David

Varun Bhansaly