Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Raman Sangra <RS...@healthpi.com.au> on 2013/01/15 00:08:23 UTC

Google Maps

Hi all,

I have been developing on Flex for quite some time. Looking at the work
you guys have been busy doing, I feel Flex may still find way out to be
best UI development SDK. One big question in my mind is what happens to
MAPS, Google as we know holds the best and most updated data of world
wide maps, and POI information.

They are going to disable the Maps Flash API by Sep. 2014. This is a
real downplay for business applications. However if we see flex as
simply a game/animation development SDK, it would be ok. But there are
serious business apps that were built for business users. These business
users are all shifting to mobile devices ipads and other tablets.

I guess mobile devices may get targeted via AIR apps, but still the
integration of some free qualified maps API either Google, ESRI or other
provider would really be a big help.

My thoughts, I would appreciate some other opinions and perspectives.

Regards,
Raman S.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi

You could use the static map API in Flex via HTTP calls , even though it's "static" it has a lot of features.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/staticmaps/

Justin

Re: Google Maps

Posted by gammajack <jr...@gammasports.com>.
This is something that MUST be addressed. If I'm not going to rebuild my
application to use static map images or retool to use MapQuest etc. What
recommendations does anyone have for how I can proceed and still using
Google Maps? Should I build a browser into my views and somehow use the new
JS API?

RE: Google Maps

Posted by Raman Sangra <RS...@healthpi.com.au>.
I did try their SDK, very well featured and plenty of support. I agree
they have an excellent product.

The only downside is the maps are only limited to very developed
countries, for third/second world, the maps are only available at very
high zoom and are at least five years old. This has a problem since all
businesses are looking towards developing nations for new projects and
the landscape there is changing so fast, you will get lost if they are
few years old.

Few cities that have changed in as many years:

Shanghai
Dubai
Singapore
New Delhi
Mumbai
Ahmedabad (India)

The only real way is a cross over app with Iframes. Google ditching MAP
API in my view was the biggest setback for flex, in many ways even
bigger then Apple dumping Flash.

Regards,
Raman S.

I use ESRI's maps in my applications with great success.  I even use
them in my mobile apps.  I highly recommend them.

The POI is not nearly as populated as Google's, but they are leaps and
bounds ahead of everybody else.

-Nick

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Tolga Kaya <to...@gmail.com>.

https://developers.google.com/maps/terms

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Jayson Pierringer <jp...@gmail.com>.
Like Bobby mentioned, the Mapquest API is good option. My team is using the
Mapquest API and it plays pretty nice with Flex.  The only problem I
noticed is with resizing (pinch zoom), if the map is in the details view of
a  SplitViewNavigator and the user zooms in, the graphic will cover the
master view until the resize event is complete.  So far the map data seems
good and the API is pretty easy to work with.

Jayson

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Tomislav Pokrajcic <to...@svemir.net>.
Using Google JS library and server API are different things.
Google doesn't allow access to their map server and data through any
client component not provided by Google.
So, there is no way to legally build another Flash API for Google maps.
If nothing changes in the meantime Google maps swf is probably gone next
year.

OpenScales (http://openscales.org) is another nice open source library
that works with Flex.
Map24 from Navteq is also an interesting data source, but they don't
have Flash component. Not sure if something changed, but as I remember
their API rules were less strict than Google's.

Cheers,

Tomislav

RE: Google Maps

Posted by Delporte Frank <F....@TELEVIC.com>.
Hello,

Since Google decided to step away from Flash/Flex, we decided to use modestmaps in combination with openstreetmaps and are very happy with the results! Good maps for the regions we need...

http://modestmaps.com/
https://github.com/migurski/modestmaps-as3
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/interactive_maps.html

Gr,
Frank

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

RE: Google Maps

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.
We do have one.

RE: Google Maps

Posted by Ian Appleby <Ia...@bcs.org>.
I agree. We looked at rewriting the whole Google flash api to use the for-js
web services, but the license is the stumbling block.
There's just no way to get the same experience within the current license
terms.

-Ian

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Maybe someone should just talk to someone at Google. I can't imagine that they have idealistic problems with Flex including a Google Maps component.

Does anyone have connections to someone that we could talk to about this?

RE: Google Maps

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.
Should work yes.
Actually wrapping the JS API in ActionScript should be pretty
straighforward.

 The other thing should be  displaying the map itself.
Something like the FlexIFrame component could help.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

RE: Google Maps

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Tomislav Pokrajcic <to...@svemir.net>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hallo Markus,

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Alain,

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

RE: Google Maps

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
   I'm going to guess that as long as you're using the Google API even if it's the JavaScript one you are fine.  Just as long as the data is coming through their API using your dev key.  However the illegal way would be to scrap their websites or try to access the data directly without going through their API.

-Mark

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@nycsmalltalk.org>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Huh?

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Tolga Kaya <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Tolga Kaya <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

RE: Google Maps

Posted by Raman Sangra <RS...@healthpi.com.au>.
Yepp, did had a good look while back, but it's not just the API, the
maps themselves are nowhere near to Google maps in terms of satellite
shots, street view etc.

Since all big players have no inclination to Flex ( Google, Microsoft,
Apple), there is little chance quality free maps will be available for
Flex.

Raman

Posted by Bobby <bo...@netscape.net>.