Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/29 01:16:29 UTC

[math] Eliminating MaxIterationsExceededException

Completing the fix for MATH-414, I saw that ContinuedFraction still throws
MaxIterationsExceededException.  I thought it would be good to eliminate the
use of the deprecated exception in trunk, but I got stuck because the
replacement, MaxCountExceededException does not allow the initial argument
to be passed and reported in the message.  In ContinuedFraction, we have
{code}
if (n >= maxIterations) {
            throw new MaxIterationsExceededException(maxIterations,
                LocalizedFormats.NON_CONVERGENT_CONTINUED_FRACTION,
                x);
 }
{code}

but MaxIterationsExceededException does not allow x to be passed in.  Should
we add a constructor similar to what MaxIterationsExceededException has
taking an Object[] to hold additional message parameters?

Phil

Re: [math] Eliminating MaxIterationsExceededException

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Gilles Sadowski <
gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> > Completing the fix for MATH-414, I saw that ContinuedFraction still
> throws
> > MaxIterationsExceededException.  I thought it would be good to eliminate
> the
> > use of the deprecated exception in trunk, but I got stuck because the
> > replacement, MaxCountExceededException does not allow the initial
> argument
> > to be passed and reported in the message.  In ContinuedFraction, we have
> > {code}
> > if (n >= maxIterations) {
> >             throw new MaxIterationsExceededException(maxIterations,
> >                 LocalizedFormats.NON_CONVERGENT_CONTINUED_FRACTION,
> >                 x);
> >  }
> > {code}
> >
> > but MaxIterationsExceededException does not allow x to be passed in.
>  Should
> > we add a constructor similar to what MaxIterationsExceededException has
> > taking an Object[] to hold additional message parameters?
>
> I've just committed (revision 1040003) the addition of a vararg parameter
> the contructor that takes a "specific" message pattern. I also changed the
> "NON_CONVERGENT_CONTINUED_FRACTION" pattern in order that the additional
> argument will actually appear in the message. The exception would thus be
> used as
> ---CUT---
>  new
> MaxCountExceededException(LocalizedFormats.NON_CONVERGENT_CONTINUED_FRACTION,
>                                maxIterations, x);
> ---CUT---
>
> Thanks, Gilles!

Phil

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
> Completing the fix for MATH-414, I saw that ContinuedFraction still throws
> MaxIterationsExceededException.  I thought it would be good to eliminate the
> use of the deprecated exception in trunk, but I got stuck because the
> replacement, MaxCountExceededException does not allow the initial argument
> to be passed and reported in the message.  In ContinuedFraction, we have
> {code}
> if (n >= maxIterations) {
>             throw new MaxIterationsExceededException(maxIterations,
>                 LocalizedFormats.NON_CONVERGENT_CONTINUED_FRACTION,
>                 x);
>  }
> {code}
>
> but MaxIterationsExceededException does not allow x to be passed in.  Should
> we add a constructor similar to what MaxIterationsExceededException has
> taking an Object[] to hold additional message parameters?

I've just committed (revision 1040003) the addition of a vararg parameter to