Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2010/02/25 16:15:21 UTC

Java.net Maven Repository Rescue Mission

As Maven users if you care about the quality of the Maven Repositories at Java.net then please help support us in our effort to get Snorcle to help fix the situation.

Sonatype is going to try and help by dedicating staff on March 5th to help Java.net projects transition over to a healthy Maven repository infrastructure:

http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/02/java-net-maven-repository-rescue-mission-on-march-5th/

We already have support from Jean-Francois Arcand:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2010/02/25/pain-over-javanets-maven-artifacts

Please show your support by voting on the DZone article here, which seems to draw attention:

http://www.dzone.com/links/javanet_maven_repository_rescue_mission_on_march.html

It's all about visibility and if we have enough users in the Maven community raise this as a concern then maybe we'll get somewhere this time.

And if you're a project at Java.net please let us help you on March 5th!

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Java.net Maven Repository Rescue Mission

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On Feb 25, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Justin Edelson wrote:

> On 2/25/10 10:36 AM, Brian Fox wrote:
>> Justin,
>> Yes we would but obviously the license on those binaries is important.
>> Some of the original binaries couldn't be redistributed which is why
>> they were pulled from central years ago.
> ...obligatory IANAL...
>
> My understanding, and I could be wrong about this, is that these
> artifacts were pulled because there was no way to have the user accept
> the license agreement before downloading.

It was actually Apache that made me pull them off. Sun didn't care and weren't going to sue us.

But that was the Sun Binary License and that's not used anymore. At least I haven't seen any artifacts of late using that license. All seems to be CDDL.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
On 2/25/10 10:47 AM, Jesse Farinacci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> wrote:
>> Justin,
>> Yes we would but obviously the license on those binaries is important.
>> Some of the original binaries couldn't be redistributed which is why
>> they were pulled from central years ago.
>>

> Well, one thing that could be done to help this problem is to locate
> all projects which depend on the unfriendly licenses and convert them
> to use the Geronimo specification packages instead. Once those
> (superficial?) changes had been completed, there would be little
> stopping them from being deployed into Central.

Unless these artifacts are going to be deployed as javax.<something>,
this would require changing poms which have already deployed to Central:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/log4j/log4j/1.2.15/log4j-1.2.15.pom

There are a few open feature requests for global exclusions and artifact
replacement strategies. Those would enable the wholesale replacement of
javax for geronimo packages.

Justin

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi,