Posted to user@click.apache.org by georgex <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2010/06/10 10:51:54 UTC

Why empty *_en.properties files?

Click seems to have many empty *_en.properties files :(.
Are they really required? Isn't there any other trick that Click could use
to achieve the same effect/functionality but without using those empty
*_en.properties files?

All advanced i18n tools (IDEs too) have nice key cross-language consistency
checking, marking with red the groups that are not in sync. This is a very
good, advanced and fast feature that makes the work with property files very
productive. Due to these empty *_en.properties files in Click however, all
groups are marked as errors, so the i18n tools that help translation and
maintenance are useless here :(.

thank you,
George.

Re: Why empty *_en.properties files?

Posted by Finn Bock <bc...@gmail.com>.
2010/6/10 georgex:

> Click seems to have many empty *_en.properties files :(.
> Are they really required? Isn't there any other trick that Click could use
> to achieve the same effect/functionality but without using those empty
> *_en.properties files?

Due to a "feature" in ResourceBundle it is necessary to have the
default language messages in the base ".properties" file and then, in
order to also support English, the "_en.properties" must also exists
(otherwise English users will see language translation for the default
locale of the server.

As a "trick", we could also keep the same messages in both the base
and the "_en.properties" file, but that is not a solution I would
recommend.

regards,
Finn