Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by An...@parc.com on 2015/05/15 21:48:59 UTC

Re: Request for feedback on work intent for non-equijoin support

Hello,

At this point, I have implemented a standalone version of the
1-bucket-theta join algorithm described in the northeastern paper on
Hadoop MR, and would like to start porting it to Hive.

I have been looking at the code and believe that the main goal would be to
implement a new JoinOperator. However, it¹s still not very clear to me how
this class interacts with the rest of the platform (i.e. How it fits in
the overall query processing workflow).

Could someone please provide or point me to a crash course on implementing
a join operator? If nothing else, a list of steps and other classes that I
may have to touch or add would be a very helpful starting point.

Also, I suppose tez is preferred for the implementation, right?

Thanks for your help,

Andrés

On 4/8/15, 2:32 PM, "Thejas Nair" <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, the theta join paper in northeastern is a good place to start.
>There is also a presentation from the folks in youtube, which is also
>very useful.
>I had a look at this issue as well earlier, and I had written up a
>rough proposal.  I had not organized the document well enough for
>sharing publicly, but in case you find it useful, I have attached it
>to wiki -
>https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27362075/theta%20
>join%20proposal%20-%20thejas.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1428517702954&
>api=v2
>It also includes a list of some of the changes that are needed (it is
>probably not comprehensive enough).
>

>On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 5:49 AM,  <An...@parc.com> wrote:
>> So, I'd like to get started on this. The description in the design doc
>>and the theta join paper from Northeastern seem like a good place to
>>start, to have a baseline that I can later use for the more specific
>>join algorithms I want to try.
>>
>> I created a JIRA account, and my username is Andres.Quiroz
>>
>> Brock, since I'm completely new to this code, could you (or anyone
>>else) please point me to the relevant modules to start learning and
>>ramping up? Also, please let me know if I can contact you directly for
>>discussing this specific topic, or if I should always send a message to
>>the mailing list.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Andrés

Posted by An...@parc.com.
Ok, that would be great! Except for Monday and Friday, I could meet any
day next week in the afternoon (Pacific time), since it is the end of the
day for me.

Thanks a lot,

Andrés

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.