Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Adrian Dick <ad...@uk.ibm.com> on 2004/05/11 14:57:03 UTC

Modifications required for Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1

Hi,

I am compiling the Axis C++ code on Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1 and have
been experiencing problems with the automake scripts.

The make tools provided with this OS are back level from those recommended,
but it is not a practical option to upgrade.
libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.4
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p5
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p5
Autoconf version 2.13
gcc version 2.96

I have, with much help from Samisa, been able to compile the axis code, and
successfully used the axis client with generated C++ client stubs.  Below
is a summary of the changes Samisa needed to make for compilation to
succeed;
   Rename configure.ac to configure.in
   Within configure.in replace AC_INIT(FULL-PACKAGE-NAME, VERSION,
   BUG-REPORT-ADDRESS)  with  AC_INIT(include/axis/server/GDefine.h)
   Within all Makefile.am remove ${LDFLAGS} from the LIBADD settings, and
   add "-L$XERCESC_HOME/lib -lxerces-c -lstdc++"

We also saw something wrong with the calling convention for function
pointers, and the following change was required for the compiler to allow
the assignment of function pointers (could be due to version of gcc):
#define AXISCALL __attribute__((stdcall)) was changed to    #define
AXISCALL __attribute__((cdecl))

Is there anyway these differences can be integrated back into the scripts,
or documentation?

Additionally, I have made similar changes to compile the samples (the
client-side Handler sample in particular).
   Rename configure.ac to configure.in
   Within configure.in replace AC_INIT(FULL-PACKAGE-NAME, VERSION,
   BUG-REPORT-ADDRESS)  with  AC_INIT(./THandler.h)

Note: Although it appears to compile successfully, we have not tested the
axis server!

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Dick (adrian.dick@uk.ibm.com)